Post by joelchan »

Any one bought one?
http://kayacat.com/

I cannot find any user reviews.

mje
Site Admin

Re: KayaCAT

Post by mje »

That’s an interesting looking boat- particularly the sail package.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

berniem
faltbootemeister

Post by berniem »

BernieM
Folbot Cooper, Pakboat Sport, Innova Sunny, Epic GPX, Oru Kayak, Wike Bicycle Trailer

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Those reviews are all on the seller's Facebook page. I'd wait until a few reviews showed up on paddling.com, but then, I'm cautious. If you buy one, tell us all about it here.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

joelchan
recent arrival

Post by joelchan »

I still can't find any user reviews yet. Hope this is not another failed kickstarter project.

Some thoughts though..I am curious how is the storage space in water during kayak.I don't see any storage compartment.

I have written to them for reviews but no reply (yet).

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

Their boats remind me of the craft that crazy Russian whitewater paddlers use. May want to watch this on "mute" unless you have the stomach for Russian thrash metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQhNWjtmY5E
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

more weird Russian inflatables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Vey33cFrk
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

sailonair
paddler

Post by sailonair »

I've bought one last year (The cougar (sailing version)) and am quite happy with it.
Some infos you might like to have:
-If you buy the sailing version, you also have the kajak. The difference is made up by some extra equipment like sail, mast and widening for the frame. The floats are the same (they are widened/ narrowed by a zipper arrangement).
-The sailing version in the backpack weights in at 13 kg (pump included). The backpack also looks bigger in nature compared to the pictures on the webpage (creative editing, I guess).
-10 min. assembly is a little optimistic, expect about 15 - 20 min if you are used to it. It often takes longer, because of interested spectators :wink:.
I use a manual pump (about 5 min), so the use of an electrical pump may save some time.
-You can't overinflate the floats, there are safety vents. The builders advice is, to inflate until you hear the vents hissing.
-Assembly is quite uncomplicated. You get an access to an assembly video after purchase. Even more important: There is also a video on how to put the kayacat back into the backpack.
-The floats material seems to be quite robust (nylon or polyester outer hull, reinforced at critical places). I didn't try it on whitewater yet, but I "discovered" sunken trees or rocks by scraping over them and they didn't leave a mark. I asked kayacat.com what to do in case of damage and they advised me to either send it in for repair or ask a local sailmaker (local as in my local, not theirs).
-Speed: For comparison I am about 83 kg and a total hobbyist in kajaking, so a lighter, better trained person would probably do better. In kayak-mode I achieve about 5-6 km/h average and 8 km/h max (on a lake). In sailing-mode I drove it up to 10 km/h at sea, though I didn't thrash it out there. It seems a lot faster, since you are sitting about 20 cm above the water.
-Sailing performance: I got it to about 70° into the wind, so tacking takes some time, paticulary if strong waves (around 0.5m) are involved. In this case, I sometimes found it easier to go to shore, reassemble into kajak-mode and paddle back.
Builders advice is to not use it at waves higher than 0.5 m, I used it up to 0.8m in Kajak mode, which was quite a wet experience.
-While sailing, it can get wet from below (waves and spill), so best take a plastic bag or something similar with you (you are sitting on a net), and adjust your wardrobe to the temperature. The seat itself is quite comfortable (adjustable backrest), thought you might want some upholstery during a longer trip.

Conclusion:
I searched for a boat, which is easy to transport and assemble to use it in mid- to fair weather and to take it with me on vacation. I'am quite satisfied with my purchase, and hope to stay that way in the future :wink:.
If you want to order the cheetah (rowing version), be advised, that according to web-comments, they seem to be still in development. You could order another version and order the rowing app when it is available.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Looks good and a very interesting kit with all you need available, the motor looks interesting but I didn,t check the battery. If I can scrape the cash I might ,with permission from you know who, go into it further. But I live on an island surrounded by sea, so no lake sailing which I have to consider. On looking the battery seems to be in the motor pod, so the question I would ask what is it,s endurance, charging , and is the battery replaceable?

DaveyB
recent arrival

Post by DaveyB »

I bought one. They take longer than 10mins to put together. But easy to put back in the bag. It took me two attempts to get the sailing going. It is well made and once you have figured out how to put it together properly (you need more than the instructions) it is quite light but big.
I am quite annoyed that I dropped a pole that could not be secured. It has sunk and I need a replacement. Does anyone know where a can get more poles for it?

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

I would expect KayaCat to supply parts, Have you tried them?

luyaj7
recent arrival

Post by luyaj7 »

The kayacat is good to row but their customer service is terrible. They have 0 spares for anything. I lost the backpack and SUP attachment rowing in a river. Emailed kayacat and they had nothing in spare or individual for sale. They also claim they can't sell to the USA because they don't have insurance. Lol, how did i get one then? Their terrible customer service alone is not worth getting it. I got mines for $170 from someone who bought multiple during the kickstarter. If you can't get it for that price not worth it.

DaveyBoon
recent arrival

Post by DaveyBoon »

I bought a kayacat and sailed it around. It is a bit dificult to sail because it has very little draft in the water (hulls are very shallow). Also because it is a cat, it is easy to drop things in the water. I dropped several things and can not replace any of them. The survice for spare parts is so poor it makes it difficult to say that it is worth buying.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Don,t these people realize that customer service is the most important thing that will keep sales up. If it is poor then these days the lack of response quickly goes round the world and potential customers go elsewhere.

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

I bought one of these, sailing version (Cougar).
I have only set it up in the house, it seems well made and straightforward to assemble after some study.
I bought it because it sails, and packs in one light bag. I might not use it before spring, but I'll update when I do.

Return to “Inflatable Kayaks”