which high quality inflatable to buy?

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

cvin
forum fan

which high quality inflatable to buy?

Post by cvin »

tarting research for an early spring purchase, looking for a mid to high quality inflatable kayak? fishing kayak? small boat? small raft? whatever seems to meet the criteria listed below

would like to do some mild river floats/mostly calm lakes for 10-15 miles with a good bit of gear
i have much loved 35 inch wide inflatable paddleboards that can hold 400-450 lbs and might work, they are super stable
but would feel a little better about all the gear i want to haul with something with sides…

here is my list

hoping to stay in the $1200-2000 range but open to increasing that a little if i need to

1- stable, so wide as possible but also able to be handled/paddled by one person with gear
2- do NOT want a self bailing floor, will not be doing whitewater and do not want to get wet, this seems to rule out the aire kayaks unfortunately
3- 500 lbs or higher capacity- either 1 200lb person and 150lb gear or maybe 350-400lbs with 2 people and 100 or so in gear
4- weight of kayak folded up needs to be under 50lbs if possible but could probably handle 60lbs
5- lots of d rings or ways to tie down gear
6- open type top? not sure how to describe that, but i need one easy to put gear inside

would love to get drop stitch kayak but have read that sea eagle is tippy, that will not work, stability will be big- not sure else has drop stitch
we will have powerboats going by us some and creating wake
although i will be using dry bags etc i do not expect to EVER flip this boat over, like hard kayaks can do

does anyone know when the kayak companies tend to release new products?

i am also ok with ordering from overseas and taking a while to ship here if needed

thanks for any help

mje
Site Admin

Re: which high quality inflatable to buy?

Post by mje »

You s might want to look into the Grabner boats, if you can find a distributor. They’ve been used in some serious trips.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

cvin
forum fan

Post by cvin »

i saw those and was intrigued, wrote the company for recommendations and will see what they say about shipping to the US

someone on another forum recommended the blackfoot angler by aqauglide, how do these compare quality wise with the grabners?

thanks for the feedback

ChrisvonS
forum fanatic

Post by ChrisvonS »

Sounds to me like an Innova (Gumotex) Seawave ticks all those boxes, but I would say that as I'm on my second one.
14.7 feet, stable, fast, not PVC, sides can run 4psi so makes it stiff and fast.
Mine weighs 37lbs in solo mode once I ditched the stock seats and foot pillows.
Get it quick from a CZ shop like boatpark.cz if necessary.
Prices have already gone up on gumotex.com.
Will last 20 years. So will a Grabner, but their prices have been staggering for years.
Their market seems to be almost exclusively in German-speaking lands.

https://inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.co ... -compared/

https://www.theboatpeople.com/tandem-to ... nflatable/
Last edited by ChrisvonS on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.com

cvin
forum fan

Post by cvin »

Will research these, thanks for these links

cvin
forum fan

Post by cvin »

wanted to update that i bought the innova halibut, they seem to be the only innovas available right now in the US and were more than half off

assembled it in the yard and it looks like it will hold the bike fine, athough i have a feeling the bike will have to sit up in any kayak i get and i was hoping to put it lower

not sure if i will try to move the seat forward and put it behind me for better front vision or if that is even possible
the boards for the seat and fishing accessories have to be installed in order to push the sides out correctly so may not be able to move them around as easy as i want

actually have a larry chair i may try to use in place of the seat but not sure that is possible either..

hoping to get it and the pakboat out to try in the water next week

seems like a nice boat and for the money may just keep it for fun

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

cvin
forum fan

Post by cvin »

big shout out to theboatpeople.com
they have been great with helping me with questions and are super quick to answer emails etc

great company to work with!

Return to “Inflatable Kayaks”