Gumotex Thaya vs Seawave confused

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

grizzly7
recent arrival

Gumotex Thaya vs Seawave confused

Post by grizzly7 »

Hi folks
First post.
In looking at both the Thaya and the Seawave, is it just a case of current limitations that you can't make a "keel" like the Seawave has that it doesn't have the high pressure floor?
Or why doesn't the Thaya have a rudder and attachment points that the Seawave has if they seem to kind of do the same thing? Or do they?
In time would all kayaks have high pressure bits for more efficiency or are there good reasons apart from cost to stay at a couple of psi rather than 10? If a Sea Eagle Razorlite came out in 2015 there doesn't seem much take up of high pressure drop stitching? A high pressure drop stitch throughout Seawave would surely be awesome?!

More directly, what does a Seawave do that a Thaya won't?

Any info appreciated :)

onsafari
forum fanatic

Re: Gumotex Thaya vs Seawave confused

Post by onsafari »

Gumotex are quite late to the dropstitch party. I think it might have slightly wrongfooted the 'traditional' manufacturers like Grabner, Aire, Gumotex etc. Anyway, it seems like you can shape it - check out Decathlon's Itiwit X500 - but I'm guessing it's way cheaper to make if you don't.

The Seawave is designed as a sea kayak. In France, it's certified to be paddled 6km (I think) offshore so comes equipped with various lashing points for gear and a rudder rather than a skeg (I don't know why. Perhaps you can set the rudder at a particular angle to counter wind from a particular quarter). The Thaya is essentially a dropstitch floor version of their Solar, which is a perfectly competent recreational boat and a development of/replacement for their longstanding but now discontinued Sunny model. Chris S's blog (https://inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.com) documents his experiences with a Sunny for a number of years and latterly with a Seawave.
Barum Albatros
Gumotex Safari
Gumotex Sunny
Gumotex Scout

ChrisvonS
forum fanatic

Post by ChrisvonS »

As always, onsafari has summed it up well.

Though prices seem similar (actually SW $200 less from Innova) a Thaya is a rec boat (like the Solar it is based on).
The Seawave is a conventional IK with an I-beam floor (essentially small ø joined up parallel tubes) which is 40cm longer and a more serious boat suited to the sea. A deck and rudder are optional. (I tried both but do without).
At 11cm wider, the Thaya is better suited to rivers with the dog and kids. No options as above.
Also, at 0.25 bar, the Seawave is already a relatively high-pressure boat and the round sides can take more (a mod I have done).
The Thaya tubes will be normal 0.2 bar but of course the flat D/S floor compensates for rigidity.

As mentioned, the more sophisticated hull profile of the Decathlon Iwitit is taking it to the next stage with D/S IKs, but I read some are finding them a bit tippy.
More directly, what does a Seawave do that a Thaya won't?
being longer and slimmer, it goes faster. At sea that can be important. In a river current, less so and may even be a hindrance in rapids.
inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.com

grizzly7
recent arrival

Post by grizzly7 »

Thank you both for the input.

I had read I think all of Chris's website already :) and following that have bought a few bits from diypackraft to try welding a bag or two. After reading most of his books it's odd finding him here!

Seawave now purchased, trying to now buy a rudder only. UK dealers not too helpful unless I just want the whole package.

Happy paddling!

ChrisvonS
forum fanatic

Post by ChrisvonS »

Anyone still looking, have a look at the new Gumo Rush models too.
Hybrid with side tubes and DS floor.
Not convinced it's that much better than my high-pressure Seawave which is a foot longer.
And not sure about the black colour combined with no PRVs (easily added).
But there it is ;-D
I've done a preview on my website. See my sig

rush-22.jpg
rush-22.jpg (22.19 KiB) Viewed 2408 times

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

Hi Chris, didn't know about your blog but I'm glad I do now. Great information with some of your personality thrown in. I've mentioned the Rush to Jake on this forum but I think it might be too pudgy for him knowing what he's looking for in an inflatable.
On your blog you mentioned the black color of the Rush and how well it might be seen. In a fascinating article about this topic in Seakayaker magazine they said a dark color (black) would provide a distinct silhouette, making it very visible. They made a case for other colors and it was certainly food for thought. It would be hard to argue with your bright yellow preference.

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

I know almost nothing about inflatable kayaks but I think it’s more than likely that drop-stitch, hybrid paddle craft like the new Gumotex Rush will soon be the way that most high-end inflatable kayaks will be made. These might combine the virtues of the inflatable’s light weight, it’s portability and quick transition from stuff sack to water while gaining much of the paddling performance of traditional folders. And, personally, I like the open cockpit that seems standard with many inflatables. Just the thought of falling into the boat and being able to simply roll out of it appeals to this lazy old body of mine. I’ve been thinking of getting some experience with the less expensive Safari but I may wait for a time to see what Rush owners are saying about their boats.

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

Hi Jake, I see you sold your Feathercraft to a lucky new owner. Does this mean you are doubling down on your search for an inflatable? I recently discovered Chris S' blog. There is a link to it here in a previous post. It's full of useful and very detailed information from someone who clearly appreciates IK's.

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

Hello Jeremiah,

Yes, the Kurrent has gone off to a new home just a few blocks from Tampa Bay and I must say that I miss that comely little folder. The gestalt of the folding, skin-on-frame kayak is more addictive than I first thought and I’m sure that I’ll find another, perhaps a K-Light which was my first folder and actually fit me better than the Kurrent did. Or maybe one of the Pakboat models. My initial interest in inflatables had to do with spending winters on Florida’s Gulf Coast. If rental costs increase beyond the extortionary levels where they are now on Anna Maria Island, we will likely have to rent something more modest than the condo with two car garage (actually one car, one kayak) that we’ve enjoyed for many years. If that becomes a reality, I think an inflatable like the Rush, a boat that could be stowed in the car and made ready for the water in just a few minutes would be more than satisfactory for paddling about on the nearby bays and bayous with an occasional excursion out into the Gulf to play in the clapotis that breaks over a sandy shoal just a short distance offshore. The problem is that I’ve never actually paddled an inflatable of any sort and I’m afraid that if I simply order, say, the Rush 1 from the Boat People without more knowledge than what I possess (nothing!) and it turns out to paddle like a bloated sausage, I’ll be deeply disappointed. And, to that end, it would be an extraordinarily kind thing if some member of this forum would purchase a Rush, paddle it like crazy for a month or two and then write a thorough review to include the good, the bad and the ugly and then post it here. Please!😊

ChrisvonS
forum fanatic

Post by ChrisvonS »

Great to be reminded of the Boat People.
I learned so much from them in my early IK days.

Ben
recent arrival

Post by Ben »

Hi -newbie here! Came across this chat through a Google search and seemed like some knowledgeable people! I’m a relatively inexperienced kayaker having used open top Hard plastic ones around the North Devon area. I have been looking at inflatable ones to buy and have narrowed it down to the seawave or the rush 2. It seems this drop stitch hi psi base is highly advisable? The key things I am looking for are flexibilty to be used solo or 2/3 people, Manoeuvrability and speed. I also do fishing with a mackerel line so any thoughts on that front appreciated too! Any guidance/thoughts/experience welcomed. Thanks, Ben

Return to “Inflatable Kayaks”