Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:09 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

There is an effective way to re-sew the seams by hand: Use a sewing awl meant for sewing leather. Mine was made by C.A Meyers.
I have used this tool to re-sew both hull seams on my Nautiraid. Yes, it is a slow process, but gets the job done!

Chris O

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 pm 
faltbootemeister

What kind of awl is this? Does it have a diamond-shaped blade for cutting the hole? Or is it a lock-stitch awl that has a spool of thread on it? In that case do you use the same holes that were punched into the material when the seam was first sewn?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:34 pm 

Yes, it is this lock-stitch awl: http://www.awlforall.com/merchant2/index.html
It can make new holes, but you can certainly reuse the existing ones.

I have had mine for many years. Purchased it originally to make a leather mast boot for a sail boat.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks for the tip. I have an awl coming--someone at sailrite suggested the same thing--so I'll try it. I like to do things myself if I can. Plus it pains me to put more money into that old hull. Part of me would like to just splurge and get one from Long Haul or one of the other suppliers. But why not get the most out of the original first?
I did notice that the original Klepper seam had some kind of tape over it on the inside--about an inch wide. It's old and hard and coming off now. Did your Nautiraid have anything like that? I assume it's to seal the seam and keep out water.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:23 am 

I just remembered, we covered the sewing awl before: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6109

Re. the seam backing tape, glue etc: I would replicate Klepper's lay-out exactly. This will both strengthen the seam and make it more water proof.
And no, my Nautiraid had nothing so fancy! Quite the opposite: A key front to back hull seam at the chines, merely glued... Surprise, surprise, the glue failed. So, it is now both sewn and glued.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:26 am 
faltbootemeister

Would it help if I glued the seam together in order to make the sewing easier--i.e., to keep both pieces in place?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:54 am 
forum fanatic

Check:

http://www.faltboot.org/wiki/index.php/ ... C3%A4hahle

or better?:

http://www.faltboot.org/wiki/index.php/Nähen_mit_der_Nähahle

R.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:46 pm 
faltbootemeister

A progress report: I got a "Speedy Stitcher" sewing awl for 10 bucks on Ebay and have been trying it out. It definitely works on two layers of Hyaplon. It will take a long time, however, if I do the seams all myself. Using a "lock stitch"--you can find a video demonstrating it on Sailrite's web site--I figure I can probably do a foot or so an hour. Maybe I'll get faster at it, but it's going to take a long time. And I'll still have to figure out a way to replace the sealing tape on the inside of the seam that is coming off. Maybe just use some tubes of tent-sealing material?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:03 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I have made sail bags 15 feet long by hand stiching using an ordinary needle and for "cotton" i used fishing line which i thought might be better to stand water. I have also used fishing line instead of cotton when i have made spray covers. I am not saying that fishing line should be used but it was available locally when i lived in a small remote Northern Ontario town. As you suggest tubes of tent sealer might be ok for sealing, or maybe spar varnish might work, and perhaps the adhesive in the attached photo. But be carefull you don,t glue the hull to-gether in a way you don,t want to. These tubes of adhesive are a "one shot" adhesive in place of the two part, but it is not quite as good. It is handy in a repair kit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

I was thinking of sealing the seams AFTER I do the sewing. The original seam has some kind of seam tape just an inch wide on the inside. Not sure if I should just slather something on top of the stitching, or what.
Another issue as you suggest is hold the seam together so that I can sew it. I haven't figured out how to do that.