Bungee cord replacement (Nautiraid) - advice on types?

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

AndrewFold
forum fan

Bungee cord replacement (Nautiraid) - advice on types?

Post by AndrewFold »

Most of the small diameter bungee cords have stretched on our Grand Raid 520 double -
- short loops on rib to keel clips
- paddle loops on outside of skin

The loss of a stored paddle whilst one of the kayakers was line-fishing well offshore last summer has prompted me to get and fit some replacement cords and perhaps add a paddle leash in future!

Advice on different quality of cords available would be welcome. I have to check the diameter required, but from memory it is about 4mm and black. Are all cords available in UK much the same? Our kayak was new in 2008 so the cord lifetime appears to be about 10 years with salty usage.
Andrew
Nautiraid Grand Raid 520 Expedition Wood
Ottersports PBK20 kit (non-folding) PVC Canvas on Wood

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Bungee cord replacement (Nautiraid) - advice on types?

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

I've always used the "marine grade" bungee cord. I've gotten a couple of gauges including the 1/4" black (about 6 mm) for deck rigging from this company, which is one of the few in the US that ships to Europe. There are many Chinese vendors on Ebay but I have to admit I don't trust the PRC vendors to ship exactly what they advertise. You do want polypro sheath, not cheaper and more UV fragile nylon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Black-Bung ... 5221!US!-1
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

AndrewFold
forum fan

Post by AndrewFold »

Thanks for your advice on the different qualities of material. I might give the linked company an order if I can't find something similar to what you describe in the UK.

Andrew
Andrew
Nautiraid Grand Raid 520 Expedition Wood
Ottersports PBK20 kit (non-folding) PVC Canvas on Wood

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

When I needed to replace or add bungee chord for my kayaks I would go to a local marina store. They had different diameter chord in large spools that was sold by the foot and all the matching plastic clips and connectors to create what you needed to do. And it was all marine grade quality as Kerry made clear as being important.

Return to “Kayak Repair”