Klepper canvas deck reproofing

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

Scousemouse
forum fan

Klepper canvas deck reproofing

Post by Scousemouse »

What do you use to reproof your deck? or is it like ventile and needs to absorb some water to swell and become waterproof?

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Klepper canvas deck reproofing

Post by john allsop »

I think 303 Fabric Guard is ok. This is available from Amazon UK. Don,t buy any until other members have commented as I am not sure. I think for best results it is supposed to be sprayed on when the weather is warm, above 21c

idc
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by idc »

I believe the Klepper's natural cotton canvas swells when wet to be entirely waterproof. I don't think there is any need to waterproof it. I've never waterproofed my Klepper T9, which I've had for about a decade. The previous owner had it since 1963. He looked after the rubber well as it is still in good nick. That required lots of boat wax, but I don't think the cotton deck needed any special treatment (except for ensuring it is stored dry).

(It has occurred to me that spraying it with something waterproofing might mean that it absorbs less water and therefore requires less drying at the end of a trip—but I've not tried that. Perhaps someone else on the list has ideas or comments.)

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Yes, Ian you are correct, the deck is breathable and most of the waterproofing is made by the threads swelling when wet and indeed it will last years. This is how my cotton tents work to keep out the rain, but proofing is still needed. Years ago Klepper sold, blue deck-impregnation liquid, it came in about 2LB tins. It hasn.t been available for decades. As you can guess at that time all decks were blue. and it was painted on with a brush but it wasn,t paint. (in 1977 it was $ 14 usd and the part number was A-404) The 303 i mentioned is also to protect the fabric from UV damage.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

I found out Klepper now have a deck re-proofer, (they had one years ago) it is on the Klepper web site in Germany, I have just looked for it again but now I can,t find it , although it is in their maintenance file, but no leads to it. It seems to be in some of the deck colors, in the early 1970s it was only in blue that being the only deck color at that time. I have now seen that KIRTON KAYAKS (a klepper dealer) in the UK will get it to order.

Abbesnabb
forum fanatic

Post by Abbesnabb »

john allsop wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:52 pm
I found out Klepper now have a deck re-proofer, (they had one years ago) it is on the Klepper web site in Germany, I have just looked for it again but now I can,t find it , although it is in their maintenance file, but no leads to it.
The one they had on the website was called "Acapella".

https://www.luftboothandel-mating.de/de ... berverdeck

Abbesnabb
forum fanatic

Post by Abbesnabb »

And the "Acapella" manufacturer went out of business late 2019 which would explain why Klepper and everybody else are taking it off their sites. Also it makes me need suggestions on what to use instead. I have raw cotton canvas on a Klepper Aerius II (new canvas, no treatment) that needs waterproofing, preferably dying and mildewcide too.

Return to “Kayak Repair”