Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:21 am 
Site Admin

Not by me; just passing on the link: http://tinyurl.com/27auu7

Price seems high for a boat this old, but maybe it includes all the gear in the photo. Might be good to PM the seller via the WCP site (see link).

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:29 am 
I think the gear IS included: I saw the same boat advertised elsewhere (I forget where) and sent the seller and e-mail, to which he quickly replied. I believe he had said it was included.

I still thought it was a little high for my taste, though - there comes a point where the price difference between 'new' and 'used' is small enough that a lot of people will just cough up the extra and go for a new boat. I think the price of this boat is hovering very close to that point (for me it was, anyway).

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Especially a boat that is 5 years old. Good luck to him though. Only $385.00 CDN less than a new one :shock: . Other than the sail, most people would have what he is "throwing in" if they kayak on a regular basis anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:26 am 
kayakamper wrote:
Especially a boat that is 5 years old. Good luck to him though. Only $385.00 CDN less than a new one. Other than the sail, most people would have what he is "throwing in" if they kayak on a regular basis anyhow.

Right. Many items regular kayakers already have, so this is a resale pain. For a first-timer, especially in Canada where we pay 13% sales tax on new items, (except for those lucky ones living in prairies, they pay only 7%), this could be a good deal with all that gear AND after some bargaining AND if this is not a hypalon hull, which is probably not (they have switched to new skin since 2001-2002, I don't remember exactly when).

From a "regular" kayaker point of view... if you don't mind some grumbling... Sail looks unfamiliar - this isn't a Spirit, that many people know and love. FC cart I don't like, so this would be another resale for some $50-60, plus hassle. Some people could use it, but not me. 2 regular Euro paddles would be for resale at 30-40% price again (don't use Euro since have switched to GP, and even if haven't switched, hell knows the length and size of blades of these 2, so it might not suit). 4-piece paddle I already have as a spare, so - one more resale. 2 deckbags - I donno... Already have one (made it from daypack), and if I were to buy a new one, it would've been waterproof deckbag-backpack from FC (never seen it, only on the photos, but I like what I see). Something black looking like oversized floatation bag - probably one more resale pain, as K1 is a multiday boat, not a day-paddling boat, assembling it for a day paddle would've been too much pain, and in a multiday trip one can;t afford floatation bag that big - but may be I'm wrong and it is smaller and better than it looks.

Post subject: K-1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:12 pm 
Got an email back from the seller. Only boat is included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 pm 
Sounds anyway like he's got himself a Feathercraft K-1 he'll be able to keep for a long time. :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Christov_Tenn on Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:06 pm 
Quote:
Only boat is included.

I stand corrected

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:09 am 
Don't be so cruel, people. Slow market means sale price substantially lower than asking price (anybody who had to sell anything recently knows this). He is asking CDN 480 less than new one - will have to settle for much less if he wants to sell it eventually. Plus, extra benefit for a local buyer - no 13% sales tax, and this is impressive amount, around CDN 450. You, lucky ones, south of the border, can't feel our pain here with those 13%. If it is really in good condition like he says, used for 2 years and kept in storage for another 3 years, it is worth about 1-1.2K less than new one in store. Just give him some time to "ripen", call him in October and offer $600-700 less than he is asking ;-)

Post subject: Re: K-1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:40 am 
ChickenRx wrote:
Got an email back from the seller. Only boat is included.

I would consider that misleading since the photo shows much more. Always best to confirm though as you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:52 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Somebody needs to make him an offer in the range Alex suggested which is fair if it is in good condition....say $3900 CDN?

Chris