Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Dan't know the first guy, but I will also vouch for Matt Broze's expertise and professionalism. His Mariners are very well designed boats, now back in limited production. Matt is one of two coauthors for Deep Trouble, a collection of case studies of several dozen sea kayak mishaps -- very good reading to prepare oneself for cold water paddling.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:26 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I've met Lyle and spend an hour or two when I was doing my research phase. Good guy - I'll second AC's comments with no reservations.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:31 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Very impressed with Peter at Klepperwest. Great person to deal with and very knowledgeable on folding kayaks. Most paddle dealers are decent folks, but the folding kayak dealers tend to outshine the pack.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:19 pm 
Matt at Mariner Kayaks is a very knowledgeable person, I dealt with him once. Didn't have a chance to meet Lyle before he moved out of my Pacific NW area, and now probably won't - it makes sense for canadians living close to the border to shop in the USA sometimes, but not that far. As to the prices - what prices?... Incidentally, I've looked into this yesterday, comparing prices for FC K1 at Lyle's website and FC factory website. Converted between the two currencies back and forth, and conclusion wasn't much to my delight - there is hardly any difference in price. Though, dealers like Lyle and Matt sometimes offer some perks, like discounted upgrade options and accessoires for their folders. But not much of savings on the base price. With the compromised strength of $US now the only place to buy cheap is at the Folbot factory - but they only make Folbot models, naturally. Or, if you're into wooden frames and open cockpits - Longhaul factory. Or Wayland's "version" of the latter - their prices will remain attractive in a foreseeable future.

Last edited by Alm on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:31 pm 
True, Lyle has no leeway on FC kayak prices. Feathercraft sets the price.

On accessories, Lyle offers FC products, again with no leeway. However he also stocks alternatives to FC products, and also has Kokatat jackets and PFDs. He saved me a good amount in this area. I compared to other sites on the net and as an average, he beats most pricewise and is helpfull in decision making (especially for newbies such as myself).

FC prices have gone way up in recent months in US dollars due to the exchange rate. I bought two used FC Kahunas to overcome that obstacle, then outfitted paddles, jackets, PFDs, float bags etc through Lyle. If I had permanent storage space at home and while traveling, I would likely have bought two Mariner Coasters, or Elan/Express from Matt Broze.

Regards,

Alm wrote:
Matt at Mariner Kayaks is a very knowledgeable person, I dealt with him once. Didn't have a chance to meet Lyle before he moved out of my Pacific NW area, and now probably won't - it makes sense for canadians living close to the border to shop in the USA sometimes, but not that far. As to the prices - what prices?... Incidentally, I've looked into this yesterday, comparing prices for FC K1 at Lyle's website and FC factory website. Converted between the two currencies back and forth, and conclusion wasn't much to my delight - there is hardly any difference in price. Though, dealers like Lyle and Matt sometimes offer some perks, like discounted upgrade options and accessoires for their folders. But not much of savings on the base price. With the compromised strength of $US now the only place to buy cheap is at the Folbot factory - but they only make Folbot models, naturally.