Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Airkayaks.com often gets lots of "factory second" 4-piece breakdown paddles from Cannon and sells them at a deep discount. These are great for packing with a folder for airline travel. They currently have some of their Nokomis and Wave fiberglass models for $69, which is $50 off the regular price.

https://www.airkayaks.com/sale-cannon-n ... dle-230cm/

I find it is worth watching their "specials" to see when they are offering these deals. I've been pleased with customer service from Airkayaks and have bought a number of paddling accessories from them. Their regular prices on the carbon Cannon paddles are decent as well and they have an Accent carbon paddle for $129 ($60 off) . They always have a good selection of demo and closeout items, including inflatable boats. They have the Astral Abba women's PFD (which has become my favorite) and the Astral Ronny Fisher on sale for $99 right now, $40 to $60 off. I just got a really nice Seattle Sports dry bag tote from them for $20 (marked down from $33) which fits nicely under my Wisper deck.

https://www.airkayaks.com/sale-accent-k ... dle-230cm/

https://www.airkayaks.com/seattle-sport ... ight-tote/

I bought one of the Cannon Wave model paddles with a carbon fiber shaft from them a couple of years ago, also a "second" marked down to $79 (from $159) , and have been happy with it both as a travel paddle and as a spare for my local touring (I prefer a Greenland paddle as my primary tool for distance paddling but the Wave is handy to switch off and use different muscles.) Another thing that I like about the Cannons is that you can remove one of the two middle shaft sections and reduce the paddle from 230 cm to about 195 cm. I've done that on several occasions when paddling narrow, shallow creeks where the longer paddle was getting in the way or when I wanted to use it more as a "storm paddle" to avoid catching too much wind.

The only drawback is that they usually only sell their paddles in 230 cm length. That is a little long for me (I usually use 210 to 220) and may be for some people, though it is a reasonable length for a lot of wider folders and inflatables. Looking at my Cannon, I think it could be easily possible to cut down one of the center shaft sections if someone wanted to shorten the paddle.

Being 4 piece, the paddle does have a little more noticable flex than a solid or two piece shaft would, but not enough to bother me. The benefit of having a paddle that so easily packs in a length that avoids excess baggage charges is worth that small sacrifice.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15