Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I just got back from taking my smallest folder and all the kit for it as checked airline baggage on a trip from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Yorkshire, England (landing at Manchester). Partly to keep a record myself for further reference on packing for such trips, I made a Flickr album showing how and what I managed to pack to get in under the airline dimension and weight allowances for a free checked bag.

As it turned out, Icelandair, the carrier I used, would have actually allowed me TWO such bags for free on a transatlantic flight but I did not know that when I prepped for the trip. Good to know for when I take one of my larger kayaks (28 pound Quest or 37 pound Wisper) overseas, since I would not be able to pack all of the necessary gear in a single bag with those.

By the way -- props to Icelandair, a very good experience flying with them, including the chance to see Greenland and Iceland from the air (and they offer free 1 to 7 day layovers in Iceland if you want for not additional charge.) Roundtrip air that i purchased 3 months in advance was only $670. Definitely a better way to get to Europe than the long direct flights to the continent from the US east coast. It does add a couple of hours for the layover in Reykjavik but I would rather take multiple flights and be able to move around in an airport between than be trapped in a seat for 7 to 10 hours. Next time I go I will plan to do the Iceland multi-day layover. Since I was solo this trip I opted not to this time. Solo hiking in Iceland did not seem too wise.

If anyone is interested in viewing the album (with details on how and what I packed): http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodle ... 004743334/

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:08 pm 
faltbootemeister

Icelandair rocks, indeed! It is one of the best companies we flew with. Their cargo operation is just as good. We sent the U-Boat from NYC to Greenland via cargo and we had a good experience both ways.

They work very well with their sister company "Air Iceland" and their first cousin "Norlandair". Excellent companies all three of them. Anybody willling to take the yak and gear to Greenland, or up north, I strongly recommend these companies and also the impeccable chopper rides offered by Air Greenland. They managed to fit and transport our monster cases in their choppers... :)

Kudos to all of them for their professionalism!

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 pm 

I for one am impressed. Did you manage to meet up with any of the paddling folk over in the UK while you were there? Where did you paddle? (I was abroad at the time, I'm sorry to say.) I like the idea of visiting my family in North American and stopping off for a layover in Iceland. Bringing a folding kayak would be fun.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:27 am 

Yes, idc, I did indeed connect with the great folks of the Malton & Norton Canoe Club. They had reached out to me when I posted an intro on the "Song of the Paddle" forum less than 2 weeks before I left for the UK. I had given them the address of my rental cottage and ETA and less than an hour after I had settled into the place, club member Paul Lister (who had contacted me through the forum) and his wife Linsey knocked on my door and welcomed me!

Since they were all working that week, we planned to paddle on the following weekend. On Saturday we put in on the River Rye, less than a mile from my cottage, and paddled to the junction with the River Derwent and as far as the club boathouse, which is right on the river beside the bridge between the adjacent towns of Malton and Norton. On Sunday we started early from the boathouse and continued downstream, with kayaks and canoes, on the Derwent to Howsham Mill, a cleverly restored stone medieval grain mill that has been converted to a mini hydro power plant with a paddle driven generator and two Archimedes Screws -- Paul is one of the Mill project trustees. Part of the Mill restoration included creating a whitewater slalom park in the millrace outlet -- the British are very good at building diverse recreational options and public parks into their infrastructure and historical sites.

As it turned out, the canoe club has so much group gear that I actually could have just borrowed a kayak from them (instead of lugging my folder with me) or joined them in one of the tandem canoes, which I actually did for half of the second day, leaving my folder at the halfway point at Paul and Linsey's house which is right on the river where we stopped for lunch and picking it up later on the way back with the shuttle. There was a downriver kayak race going on that day upriver from where we were -- it really is a very active club!

The paddling was great, all flatwater except for a tiny rapid at the Rye launch and two weirs (low head dams), which like many in Europe, were constructed as low angle ramps so that they can be safely descended by kayaks and canoes without the deadly hydraulics that are created in standard straight drop dams (like the one that killed two young kayakers 10 days ago here in Pittsburgh.) We had terrific weather and the water was warm -- very picturesque scenery: cows and sheep, quaint towns and cottage farms, the ruins of ancient abbeys, swans and wild flowers -- there were quite a few snags since earlier rains had caused a lot of willows to collapse across the narrow rivers, but we were able to push over all of them. The outings were a high point in the trip for me and I really enjoyed the company -- invited any of them to look me up if they ever come to the states. In fact, Paul's dad (with whom I paddled a tandem canoe) was just visiting Yorkshire at the time and lives in Florida most of the year.

I've been sorting through hundreds of photos I took during the trip and once I get some albums posted to Flickr I will post a link (files are too big to post on here.)

I definitely want to go back to Great Britain and paddle some more --next time will hopefully be with a companion and one of my folding sea kayaks to do some more ambitious waters. And I will take the Iceland layover option next time if they still offer it. I didn't this time because I was solo and did not think camping, hiking and paddling in Iceland's rugged terrain alone would be a great idea.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:39 am 

Oh, forgot to mention that I got to see Greenland during the overnight flight from Boston to Reykjavik -- I had nodded off but awoke in time to watch the rugged black mountains pushed up through the vast swaths of glaciers glowing below in the moonlight -- it was magical! I had hoped to see the Greenland coast again in daylight during my return flight but got stuck in a middle seat section in a jumbo jet and could not see anything -- and the people seated on the north side windows kept them closed so they could watch TV!!! Go figure....

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 pm 
faltbootemeister

You should pack and go there, mate. You won't regret it.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm 

Both Greenland and an extended trip to Iceland are on my "bucket list".

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 pm 
paddler

Didn't know that kayak was so pack able.

Great info and tips.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 pm 
faltbootemeister

Great work. I just took a Folbot Citibot to Morocco. You did better than I. But I managed to pack in a two person tent and air-mattress along with camp gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:08 am 

Having the separate decks and the older models have ingenious folding coamings, make Pakboats very easy to pack compared to other folders. I love my Feathercraft Wisper but it's a pain in the butt to pack compactly.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15