when to use floating bags

Paddling technique, boat packing technique, anything having to do with how to use a piece of equipment (except sailing, which has its own section).

Moderator: chrstjrn

alexbern65
forum fan

when to use floating bags

Post by alexbern65 »

Hello,

Can someone advise on when to (and not to) use floating bags in Folbot GII (tandem)?

Going on a 2 day trip on a lake, do not expect high winds/waves but some motor boats will be there. Packing sort of light - repair kit, spare paddle, a tent, some sleeping bags and other sleeping gear, some clothes, and food/drink for two people.

Should the inflatable bags be installed into the boat for this?

Thank you
--Alex

Christov10
forum fanatic

Re: when to use floating bags

Post by Christov10 »

For me, even when just monkeying around for a few hours, I use bow and stern flotation bags.

ewdysar
forum fan

Post by ewdysar »

Since my Folbot Super TSF has no sponsons, it has neutral buoyancy at best. I always use float bags, just in case. If what you’re carrying exceeds the limited buoyancy of the sponsons, your boat could sink in a worst case scenario. Even if it’s a long shot, just imagine what you would do if your kayak went to the bottom of the lake. Given that, you get to figure out how much risk you are willing to accept.
Kayaks: Folbot Super TSF w/ sailing rig, Klepper Aerius 2 tandem, CLC Chesapeake 17, Aquaglide Chelan HB Tandem XL
Sailboats: 1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 ketch, 1990 Farrier F-27F trimaran
Southern California

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

My Folbot Aleut has internal sponsons, and barely floats awash when swamped, now I use float bags. But if you put your gear in dry bags, some of it may provide flotation.

alexbern65
forum fan

Post by alexbern65 »

Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like people usually use them rather than not. We only used this kayak for short trips so far, no load at all, in quiet waters, and have not use the the flotation bags and it was fine. Now with gear, it does seem like I ought to put them in.

Christov10
forum fanatic

Post by Christov10 »

There have been some detailed discussions on this board and the old folbot forum about packing for longer trips. If I recall this right, some of the posters suggested zip-tying the flotation bags into bow and stern, inflating a little, then packing, then inflating around the packed items. As JohnSand noted, stuff in drybags will also provide some flotation.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I use float bags whenever the water is more than waist deep as a basic safety precaution.

I should probably use them all the time, as I used to do. Even in shallow water, they limit the amount of water in the boat, making it easier to recover if you swamp.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Return to “Techniques”