Use of Natural Ranges

Paddling technique, boat packing technique, anything having to do with how to use a piece of equipment (except sailing, which has its own section).

Moderator: chrstjrn

krudave
Site Admin

Use of Natural Ranges

Post by krudave »

Nice little summary with a couple quick animations to illustrate how ranging works, and its value when crossing tidal streams, etc.:
http://tinyurl.com/6qpneu
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

kayakamper

Re: Use of Natural Ranges

Post by kayakamper »

thanks for posting this Dave. This could be helpful for those caught out there.

Interesting, the illustrations put me in mind of what it must be like for a plane to land in a cross wind. i'm sure it is very similar.

Chris

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Use of Natural Ranges

Post by chrstjrn »

I didn't read the whole article, but from the illustrations and a quick skim, and speaking as a pilot, yes: that is pretty much the same theory. It is called "crab angle" when landing. It is also used when flying any course in a cross wind, actually. The old circular slide rules used by pilots-- the E6B, etc.-- have a trigonometric function built into them to determine how you need to adjust your heading to maintain a course in a crosswind (which includes quartering winds, by the way).

Knowing how to use one of those circular slide rules is a wonderful thing, while we're on the subject. A myriad of uses. I always wear a watch with one built in (Citizen, not Breitling 8) ), and use it often.
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

Return to “Techniques”