Good video for cold water imersion.

Paddling technique, boat packing technique, anything having to do with how to use a piece of equipment (except sailing, which has its own section).

Moderator: chrstjrn

kayakamper

Good video for cold water imersion.

Post by kayakamper »

Found this from our local kayak group and felt the need to pass it on. Stay warm out there!
http://www.nasbla.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Cheers,
Chris

VE3JC John

Re: Good video for cold water imersion.

Post by VE3JC John »

Just excellent. Thanks so much for posting.

Doyle

Post by Doyle »

Great video!

Besides the obvious point about wearing your life jacket, it also drove home to me that if your first self-rescue attempt in cold water isn't successful, that's the time to call for help. Watching the degradation in ability to do simple things like light off a flare or use a VHF as the cold degraded muscle and nerve ability was really telling.

krudave
Site Admin

Post by krudave »

Doyle wrote:Besides the obvious point about wearing your life jacket, it also drove home to me that if your first self-rescue attempt in cold water isn't successful, that's the time to call for help. Watching the degradation in ability to do simple things like light off a flare or use a VHF as the cold degraded muscle and nerve ability was really telling.
More to the point, I think it illustrates the need to test your immersion gear/clothing in the water you paddle on to make sure it gives you an adequate window for self-rescue.

We have practiced on rough water, doing assisted rescues (a snap -- 2 minutes and you are back inside the cockpit) and solo self-rescues (5 minutes, sometimes a bit more) wearing a farmer john wet suit and a drytop ... on 55 degree water. We figure we have about 20-30 minutes of good time before our hands will go on water of that temperature. In 45 degree water, I suspect it will be more like 10 minutes. [In water that cold, I'm in my dry suit, and Becky does not paddle when the water is that cold.]

I see far, far too many paddlers on cold water wearing shorts and light clothing on their upper bodies. Even a PFD is little thermal protection, and only makes recovery of the body easier (or, possible).
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Return to “Techniques”