Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FC Klatwa paddle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:09 pm 
forum fanatic

Hello All,
I have a Feathercraft Klondike and a Kahuna. I have purchased a FC Klatwa paddle for the Kahuna. It is not feathered and I have always used a feathered paddle so it takes some getting used to on my part.
I also had never thought of the lack of drip rails on the Klatwa and was wondering if there is a special way to paddle so as not to get my hands wet when using the Klatwa. The water is very cold this time of year.
Thank you for any advice.

Post subject: Re: FC Klatwa paddle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 am 
Quote:
I also had never thought of the lack of drip rails on the Klatwa and was wondering if there is a special way to paddle so as not to get my hands wet when using the Klatwa. The water is very cold this time of year.

In all but the most extreme conditions, I like to use unlined / coated nylon poagies. Your hands can get wet, but they stay warm.
In fact, lined one are too warm. The nice thing about poagies is that they allow you to grip the paddle normally,
unlike neoprene gloves. One method to reduce the water on your hands is to paddle with a low stroke... This also allows
use of a longer paddle. Mine are 94" - 96" inches.

I even use the motorcycle version ( handlebar muffs) while riding in cold / wet conditions. They allow me to ride year round :D

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:39 pm 
Well, Greenland Paddles don't need to be feathered because they don't catch the wind like euro paddles do. It does take a little getting used to, but it's a lot easier on the ol' wrists.

Drips: at first I found this a real pain, but the problem goes away after a while. The greenland stroke is much lower angle than the stroke used on a euro blade, so the blade stays much closer to horizontal. Once you get that stroke going properly, you'll find much less water coming down the blade.

Like Tom says, Pogies will keep your hands toasty, but I find they restrict the full use of the blade . You can't do the sliding stroke for instance, at least not without taking your hands out of the pogies. I use these neoprene paddling mitts.

Again, they don't keep the hands dry, but they do insulate them keep the wind off. These ones have a hole in the palm that allows you to take your hands out very easily, so you can use your fingers when needed. In Winter I always put them on, but sometimes I paddle all day without actually using them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:25 pm 
forum fanatic

Thank you for the great tips. I was out paddling today and the paddle was working alot better with much less water dripping in.
I really like the greenland paddle and I'm hoping it will work with my Klondike.
Treecutter
FC Kahuna
FC Klondike
Chestnut Crusier Wood Canvas Canoe

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:33 am 
forum fanatic

I purchased a set of drip rings from MEC to reduce the drip on my GP. http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442281187&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701035&bmUID=1243085437598.

They work well enough, but I found I prefer the look and feel of the paddle without the rings so I eventually removed them. Neoprene gloves keep my hands warm when winter paddling now.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:09 pm 
From that little info that I found, proper grip on GP is with thumb and index finger next to the root of the blade and other 4 fingers - on the blade. At least, with the short shaft of FC Klatwa. So drip ring would have to be placed on the blade - which is not possible, or in the middle of the shaft - where it would be useless.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

As for the feathering- a Greenland paddle requires a very different sort of technique. Instead of holding the blade perpendicular to the direction of travel as it sweeps through the water, as you would do with a Euro-style paddle, hod it at a 45 degree angle, so it digs in and wants to pull deeper. You'll find this allows you to develop a surprising amount of thrust. And the end of your stroke, just relax, and the paddle will automatically plane to the surface of the water, making it much easier to lift and begin the next stroke.