Noob Question : Terminology-related

Paddling technique, boat packing technique, anything having to do with how to use a piece of equipment (except sailing, which has its own section).

Moderator: chrstjrn

kenton

Noob Question : Terminology-related

Post by kenton »

I've read the word in context only a couple times with respect to my effort to learn about Kayaks and Kayaking; and I still don't know ~precisely~ what is meant ( yet I do have a mental picture ) :

"What does the word 'Rafting' mean in the realm of Kayaking ?"

A couple things come to mind, but I hesitate to say preferring to hear from those in the know.

Thanks very much in advance :|

krudave
Site Admin

Re: Noob Question : Terminology-related

Post by krudave »

Two (or more) separate boats, temporarily held next to each other by the occupants, sometimes achieved using lines and fenders.

Useful when you want a more stable platform for eating lunch, checkin the chart, or just a feeling of greater security. Gotta watch the fingers for pinches as the boats work up and down in swell/seas.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

kenton

Re: Noob Question : Terminology-related

Post by kenton »

I had only two thoughts in mind as possibilities - paddle-craft lashed together and one where the kayaker is somehow riding the boat without paddle, out of their seat prone over the deck in much the same way as a surfer might paddle his board out to catch a wave :D

Return to “Techniques”