Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39 pm 
forum fan

Simon, I am glad the web site helped you. For additional help I wrote up a blog post on tuning a static brace recently. All the same ideas can apply to help people get their sculling brace to work also. http://qajaqrolls.com/2012/07/tuning-a-static-brace.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:04 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for that Chris, I'll definitely try the idea of pushing down with my opposite heel next time - I didn't think of that. The stretches are where I think I most need to do a lot more (hard) work, but I find progress painfully slow in that area :(
After watching your video again, the area where I think I can easily improve a bit is with my hand position for my (left) hand nearest the boat (the one holding the end of the paddle). I've got my body as far out from the boat as possible so this also gives me a bit of elbow room, but I notice that you're using an open hand rather than gripping the paddle, which should help me rotate my left shoulder further back into the water
Ps I'm still a looooong way off being to do a balance brace! :D

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:49 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Following the advice from Chris's site, pushing down with my opposite heel and using an open hand rather than gripping the paddle in order to keep my inside shoulder low made a big difference to my side scull today in the bay. I can now relax into the scull with my paddle sweeping easily backwards and forwards across the surface, which in turn means I can now roll more confidently, knowing I can take a pause on the surface before trying again if I should stuff up the final part of a roll the first time.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 am 
Hi, IF you are having problems finding the surface for a slap/setup, may I suggest trying a dive mask. Just to give you more relaxed time and so YOU can see what your paddle is doing.
I know it won't address your specific folding boat issues, but it will allow more time to work it through.
Enjoy the journey..Wayne