Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 pm 
recent arrival

I follow the ad on Craigslist for a few weeks, and was finally able to go see the kayak today. It was the original owner, he and his dad bought it and assembled the frame, and put on the first layer of canvas on the bottom. Then they wrapped it up and put it away. It has never been in the water. The canvas is soft and supple, looks like new. All of the parts are there and everything looks new. I was able to get it for $200. I can't wait to finish it and get it in the water!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Wow... that is really beautiful!

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm 
recent arrival

While I have all of the parts and the instruction manual, I don't have any of the adhesives. Any idea what I should use to laminate the second layer of canvas on the hull? I'd like to get this finished and in the water in a couple of months...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:09 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

If you can't find the Folbot instructions, then one of the books by Percy Blandford ought to help. Try Canoes and Canoeing, if you can find it in your local library or second hand.

Alternatively, you could go on SongofthePaddle.co.uk and search or ask there. I know there are a number of people who have recanvassed canoes there, including Percy Blandford-style skin on frame kayaks.

Good luck. And don't forget to take lots of pictures and write up a blog, so those coming after you can see how it is done!
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:17 pm 
recent arrival

I actually have two of the original instruction books. Unfortunately, they do not really specify any of the materials by name. They just call it "laminating compound".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:34 pm 
recent arrival

Getting antsy to get this project going/completed. I unwrapped and dusted the Folbot, and flipped it over on my cart to get started on the second hull layer. It's amazing how new the 37 year old material looks and feels. I like the green color, and it will look very classy with the tan on the deck. I have been talking to a lot of companies about the adhesive, and decided today on HH-66 vinyl contact adhesive. It is waterproof, and should work well for this application. I'm ready to glue as soon as it arrives!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

HH66 is what Tom Yost used. Google Yostwerks for his mirror site

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Advanced Elements AirFusion 1040, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island