Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:27 pm 
recent arrival

Hi All.
I am brand new to this forum, and am thankful for any help you can give:
I have two rarely used Folbot Cooper kayaks. When I built them the other day, one went together great. The other did also, until I realized that I was missing the last, small cross frame (the one closest to the stern).
It wasnt in the bag, or where they've been stored. And, now Folbot is out of business.... Aarrgh. Do you have any ideas of where I can get a replacement part?
Thank you so much!
Ali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:49 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Probably easiest to get a machine shop to cut you one from HDPE using the one you have as a template

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

If it were a GII or an old Super, you could get parts through this forum, Craigslist or ebay.
Coopers, on the other hand, are too new and haven't reached the point where they are being parted out. A Cooper gets retired only if it gets run over by a truck.

The advice in the post above is about your only option. A good shop could machine one from HDPE or bend one from aluminum tubing. The crescent moon clips can be fabricated as well. The Velcro strips are readily available on the internet as well as the plugs for the tubing ends if you feel the need for them. They aren't critical.

You will have to employ some engineering skills.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:42 pm 
recent arrival

I lost the cockpit nose piece for my Aleut years ago and am kicking myself for not getting my act together early enough to get a replacement. :roll: Now I don't know where to find one. My boat is from about 1992 so the piece was metal (if I remember correctly!!!) and not black urethane though I they are interchangeable. I think it is a pretty important piece and I haven't attempted to use my boat since.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find a replacement? My internet search has not been fruitful.

Thank you, from ardipitheca in Canada.

Last edited by ardipitheca on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

I'd make one from three pieces of marine plywood, screwed and glued and suitably varnished.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm 
recent arrival

Thank you for responding. Interesting idea - I like your approach to finding solutions! As I said I haven't put it together in years (well over a decade, really) so I don't remember much about the piece. How essential is it, do you know? Making one out of wood may beyond my skill sets but appearance aside, is there something simpler I could do in the name of security (assuming it isn't a decorative component)?

A.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:40 pm 
recent arrival

I have the Aluminum nose piece from my old Super. I could get a picture of it for you this week if it would help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:51 am 
recent arrival

Attachment:
folbot-aleut-expedition-pkg-excellent_1_ecf5c3e212b6fa36bdd6dcaabe1c8c02.jpg

Thanks naedr. Do you think the nose pieces from different models would be more or less the same size?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:50 am 
forum fanatic

First, the lack of that piece probably shouldn't keep you from using the Aleut. The piece is integral to the overall structural integrity of the kayak, and aids in keeping the pressure from the coaming pieces from putting undue pressure on the deck area forward of the cockpit. If all other pieces are present and tightened down properly you should be fine for some relaxed paddling. I probably wouldn't put any weight on the coaming too much forward of the screws that attach each coaming piece to the frames.

I have both the plastic and aluminum versions of GII nose pieces. They are about the same size. The Kodiak aluminum nose piece is smaller. I've never compared the Edisto pieces.

That piece seems to control outward lateral and upward movement of the coaming pieces. I would think if someone could provide you with good clear pictures, along with measurements you could either make something similar or ask a metal fabricator to make something similar. It it was to be fabricated from metal it would take just two pieces.

I'm not sure you could make it from wood. I know my 2 coaming pieces, no mater which Folbot seem to take some pressure to move inward / press under the nose piece. I would think it maybe tricky to create a multi part replacement from wood. The outward pressure of the coaming pieces might split it at your seams. I wondered if a solid piece of hardwood, with the internal gap for the coaming pieces suitably routed out might work. I'm just not sure how big the entire piece would need to be to suitable standing up to pressures of the coaming pressures.

If you had access to a 3D printer which prints in metal you could try scanning a borrowed piece, then "print" a new one in a suitably strong metal or other material.

Another idea. What you need to know is the internal width/depth, and height of the nose piece. Then try to find a suitable hard plastic box which you could then cut a corner out of. I was think like an old large OtterBox, Pelican case, or similar very hard/dense plastic material. I doubt you will be able to exactly recreate the internal width "out of the box" but, you might then more easily shim it in such a manner to get the width necessary.

Food for thought.

HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, and Citibot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:09 am 
faltbootemeister

The cockpit nose piece from a Super will be old-style aluminum, with the cursive Folbot logo. This will fit your Aleut, but it will lack the circular cutout shown in a previous post in this thread. This only matters if you use a 2000 or newer rudder kit. The cutout supports an aluminum tube that itself supports the t-shaped rudder foot control. If necessary, I suppose you could use a drill or Dremel tool to adapt the old nose piece for a newer rudder kit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:46 am 
recent arrival

I took a trip once 700 miles from home when I realized I had left my cockpit nose piece home.

so...Gorilla Tape to the rescue...worked perfectly...just a little sticky residue to clean off when I got home.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

Somebody here posted a picture of a slightly cut up tuna can for the purpose.
Looked like it would work just fine.
Just be sure there aren't any sharp edges bearing on the deck fabric.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 am 
recent arrival

Thank you for your suggestions. I will see what I can do. I am not free to set up my kayak till a little later in the season, so at that point i will have a better idea of my options.

naedr, when you said you have a nose from an old Super, were you proposing to sell it?

Thanks again, everyone. I will be back!