Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used Citibot
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:03 pm 
recent arrival

I recently came across a used Citibot that I'm considering purchasing, but had some questions regarding repairs that I thought the folks here with more experience might be able to answer. According to the owner the bottom was scraped and they repaired it using the "tape" that was included when they purchased it. They have used it since with no issue, but based on the photos it looks like it might need to be repaired at some point. What do you think? Is this what keel tape or gorilla tape is used for and how would I repair it?
Also after reading the posts on here I've learned about the change in Folbot hull material. Does anyone know which one this is using? According to the owners they bought it in 2011 or 2012.
I'm know that if I purchase it I'll have more questions, related to maintenance and cleaning, but I think that's it to help decide on what to do.

Thanks,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Used Citibot
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:04 pm 
recent arrival

I went to look at this kayak this morning and decided to get it. The bottom didn't look so bad in person, may need to be redone or cleaned up in the future, but should work for now. Now that I own a folding a kayak I have a few more questions. I'm still hoping to get the questions from the first post answered too.

-How can I clean the deck and hull, is soap and water enough or is there something else I should use?
-The sellers didn't have the original backpack, does anyone know the dimensions or a good replacement?
-It came with the long yellow flotation devices for the side as well as two beige ones that looks like they are for the front and back (photo attached). Are these necessary? In the videos or photos I've seen of the citibot they aren't shown.
-One of the yellow flotation devices has a 1" diameter hole in it, anything special to patch this? Can a standard vinyl patch work?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:02 am 
faltbootemeister

Congratulations on owning a folding kayak, Chris. If you are like me it will not be your last.

I believe your hull is Elvaloy. Folbot recommends Tear-Aid tape for patching Elvaloy. All of my Folbots have Hypalon hulls, so I have not experimented with alternative materials for patching Elvaloy. If the scrapes are pretty bad you might want to patch the inside as well as the outside.

I haven't used anything other than water to clean the deck and hull. I wipe 303 Fabric Protectant on the deck to combat UV degradation.

I cannot help with a carry bag.

The long yellow tubes are sponsons. They fit in sleeves on the inside of the skin. When inflated they reinforce the frame, tighten the skin on to the frame, and provide buoyancy in the event of swamping.

As you guessed, the flotation bags go under the fore and aft decks. Once again, they provide buoyancy in the event of swamping. The also take up space that otherwise would be taken by water should the boat swamp.

While the boat will float without sponsons and flotation bags, that will be the time your boat swamps and you will wish you had them.

I like to use AquaSeal to patch vinyl flotation bags. With a hole that big you'll need a patch. The challenge will be to keep from gluing the two sides together. Flotation bags of various sizes and shapes are common kayak items, so will be available any number of places should you decide to replace the one with the hole. NRS carries them online.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:24 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Aquaseal works for small punctures but for patching large holes in flotation bags, get a vinyl patch kit (sporting goods stores or Joann Fabrics stock them) and cut two patches. Make one slightly larger than the hole, lay the bag flat, fold the patch and slip it into the hole, then flatten it so it is centered over the hole (it helps to use a pen or marker to put a dot or X in the middle of the upper side of the patch so you can see when it is centered). Then cut a slightly larger patch, cover the whole thing with vinyl glue and place it over the hole and the inside patch. This keeps you from accidentally gluing the patch to the opposite inside wall of the bag.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15