Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pisces
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 pm 
faltbootemeister

I know why Hurricane Hugo struck SC. It was to give Folbot a reason to drop the Pisces.
A BIG THANK YOU to whoever posted the Pisces (and other) instructions online. After two days I have my Pisces together.
I like the materials they used. But that boat is a nightmare. IMO. Those movable rib adjusters make things more complicated.
I am now expert at threading roped fabric. Yes, use lots of silicone lubricant.
Due to the design of the ends of the hull, the rubber bang strips have separated. Each time you put the boat together you stress those ends bad. The deck and cockpit really don't quite fit right and I don't know why or what to do. As well, the sponsons have come unglued. Since I have already failed to correctly glue my Citibot I see I need to learn more about glues.
Anyone else got one of these?

Post subject: Re: Pisces
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:27 pm 
forum fanatic

Well, I don't have one. But your challenges make mine seem insignificant. Thanks for that, good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:01 pm 
faltbootemeister

For the benefit of later readers I'll give my paddling impression.
The Pisces size wise replicates the Super. Paddles like the Super. I love the hull material even I don't know what it is. Tough, pliable, not heavy. Longerons stay in place better than the Super (and other Folbots) even w/o those Super hooks.
Deck material is sort of a canvas. Again, good stuff, heavy a little. Boat weighs 87 lbs.
Big issue here is car topping is when assembled. This boat has no rigid parts. Car topping it upright or inverted, the hull bends dramatically at each of the gunwale joints. The loose fitting ends of the four solid longerons contribute to this. I imagine in ocean swells it would flex a whole lot. In spite of the loose rub strips on the bow and stern there are no leaks. The use of velcro to seal the deck joints seems to work but again, no rigidity and possible leaking when you launch into surf.
I actually like the boat and imagine you get used to the unorthodox assembly. I just have to re-glue the hull parts.
Question, what glue?
Sort of after thought. I've three Super hulls. The thread is a problem (rips/breaks) on the seams when the hull shrinks and you have to stretch it into place. Pisces not so much as I can see. Not so many seams.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm 
faltbootemeister

the stem strips on this Pisces had come loose. They are essential to assembling the kayak. I used a come-a-long and vice grips to pull the one end tight and glue it with FA4844 Hypalon cement. Anyone know a better way?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

Edit
forgot my ISP won't allow direct links. So go here and scroll to the bottom to find the Pisces.
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/I ... ntify.html
End Edit

And the assembly manual:
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/M ... isces.html

Phil gave up on the Pisces concept and went back to the traditional structure but in modern materials - thus the Greenland II in 1990.

Last edited by flatwater on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:57 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks Flatwater,
The only link open was the last and most important, the instructions.
I might have ten or fifteen Folbots if I count the non-floating, such as the Pisces for now.
Anyone got advice on attaching the stem strips I pictured?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:57 pm 
faltbootemeister

Drat.
I forgot my ISP won't allow direct links to individual files, pics, etc.
Have to link to a page.
Go here and scroll down to the bottom - 1988 Pisces brochure

http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/I ... ntify.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

I've been messing with this Pisces. Boats in great condition use wise. Whoever had it didn't use it much. Those end hypalon strips are a bear to glue back. Spray skirt does not really fit and was likely never used.
Interesting intermediate step to GII. First Folbot with sponsons I'd guess. After I have re-glued the ends it looks pretty good. Paddles well.
Should sail well. I like the rudder assembly but have not used it. Pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:58 am 
forum fanatic

I'm still impressed by the the tensioner arrangement you used to reglue those end-strips. The rudder yoke reminds me a little bit of the one my Pionier had, which worked really well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 am 
faltbootemeister

Thanks, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the factory glued those strips on. There has to be a better way than a vice grips and come-a-long.