Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 pm 
paddler

hello,
I had been on this forum before asking for advice on buying a folding kayak. thanks to your good advice I think I have bought a good one: GII about ten years old in excellent shape. I have used the search function but don't seem able to find the things I am looking for right now. I posted on another thread but perhaps this one is more appropriate, since it is just folbot. I will try anyway:

I have aluminum washboards and was wondering about their strength. For instance, can I put a board across them in order to sit on and row from it? That is if it can be rowed. I was thinking of extending an aluminum tubing beyond the gunwales and putting the oarlocks in the ends.

In regard to the strength, agrain. Is it strong enough to support a 25 pound motor? I like the quiet of paddling but there will be times when i want to descend a river and it can be pretty hard to paddle back up. A little more flexibility.

I also have an old Super with a sail rig. I know that the sail on that old thing catches more wind than my Balogah Batwing, when the wind is light. So, I was wondering if it would be possible to hook up that old sail, from time to time, to my new GIi? Once again this has to do with the strength of the washboards. As many of you know, I imagine, the old Super rig had a kind of plywood deck plate sort of thing that attaches above and below the washboards and is tightened with wingnuts?

A lot of questions to start with but I think all of them have to do with one question: the strength of the washboards.

Hope I haven't asked too many questions for a bignner :)
thanks joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 am 
forum fan

Good buy! The aluminium washboards are stronger and stiffer than the previous poly-carbonate version, which I have. They are certainly strong enough for attaching a sailing rig. In fact the bespoke Folbot upwind sail kit does just that. I have never considered a modification for rowing. The GII is very stable, but would be much less so with a centre of gravity above the gunwales. Whether the washboards would be strong enough would of course depend on your weight, but they are very strong, so it would probably work.

Currently, there is a very interesting conversation about "trolling motors" in the General folding kayak questions section. For me the featured Torqueedo is prohibitively expensive, but the Australian made Vorta DX3, with its ease of mounting to the rudder looks very interesting. I live in the States (and Montenegro) and can pick up used trolling motors for $20 at yard sales and pawn shops, so I may try making my own rudder mounted version.
Good luck with your new project.
Regards, Jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 pm 
paddler

Thanks very much for the response, Jack. I suppose I got excited with having the new boat and jumped into the conversation without introducing myself. I live in Canada and do most of my paddling and sailing along the Gaspe coast and the Gulf of St Lawrence. Also around Cape Breton Island in the north end of Nova Scotia, where I sometimes go in the summer.

Regarding the trolling motor, I didnt realise that you could buy them that cheaply second hand. Maybe I will look into it. However, i have an old, small gas motor. I don't like to multiply things too much. And besides, I wouldn/t be using it very much and so the noise wouldn't be too much of a problem. With an electric motor you have to worry about carrying and placing a battery, charging it up. not too difficult, I suppose, but the simpler the better.

I had an old Super that I sailed at the cottage and the washboards on it seemed stronger than on the gII. But, as long as it is strong enough.

i checked on the search here for rowing but didn't find anything. It seems to me that going solo and sailing in a big boat like this, it might be quite handy to be able to row from time to time. I have a Balogh rig with the outriggers, too, so the high center of gravity might not be a problem. Also, I suppose you could rig up somekind of seat so that you sit lower in the boat and that could help the situation.

Montenegro is where you boat. Sounds like an interesting place.
thanks joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

I’d be cautious about putting weight on the washboards. The weak point there might be the hinge or joint. Better to transfer that load to the floorboards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:38 pm 
forum fan

We also have a house in Shreveport Louisiana, and will return there next week. However, we are spending more and more time in Montenegro - it's beautiful here. I now have two Folbots here - a Greenland II and an Aluet. The amazing thing is that Turkish Airlines does not charge for bringing them, in addition to my normal 100 lbs of regular checked baggage! Next year, I am going to start bringing my Klepper sailboats here too - two bags at a time. I think each one has five bags. I may have a problem with the masts.

If you are ever over here, or want to plan coming here for a kayaking vacation, Forum Members stay free, if we are here.
If we are not here, there is a small charge ($10/day) for our caretaker's extra time and expenses. From Houston to here return is <$900 on Turkish Airlines. Do they fly to Canada?

I have the Folbot upwind sailing kit here in Kotor but did not get a chance to use it this trip. Something to look forward to next year.
Since I last wrote to you, it has been pointed out to me, by a very experienced Forum Member, RangerTim, that Folbot did actually recommend upgrading to the aluminium washboards for sailing. I will therefore be strengthening mine until I can find a set of aluminium ones. If you come across a set, let me know. I also see another reply to your question by another experienced member, whose advice is certainly more reliable than mine. I tend to try something first and fix it if it doesn't work!

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am 
paddler

Thanks very much for the kind replies regarding the washboard strength. I suppose i could rig something up for rowing that sat on the floorboards but I don/t know about a gas motor. I suppose I will have to test it. I am not sure how much I might use these options, though. But, my enthusiasm has been a bit curbed by the realisation that this is a big boat to paddle alone. I know there is a type of rib that you can get ( maybe not now that the factory has been closed; so maybe diy) that allows paddling solo from the middle of the boat. I will see all of that once the spring arrives, i guess.

Thanks very much for the generous invitation, Jack. I have never been near the Adriatic. Mostly in western Europe, France mostly. It must be very nice there.

Also Louisiana. I believe I have some long lost relatives there who arrived with the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755. they are now called Cajuns, I believe. The name would be goutreau, goutrot or like my online name gouthro, an anglisized version. Their migrations are anazing story.

thanks again
joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 pm 
faltbootemeister

During its last couple of years of existence Folbot offered a seat that spanned the washboards. I believe it was intended for the GII. How much testing was done before the product hit the market I could not say. I have that seat but only used it a couple of times and those were on a Yukon. The seat itself was not a problem.

I have known a couple of people who paddled their GIIs solo from the aft seat. They were fine in light wind. I would surely want a rudder. Unless I had a fair bit of weight in the bow, I would much rather paddle (or row) from a more balanced position amidships.

Folbot offered a solo rib for the GII. I believe it was the #4. That solo rib is open at the top (U-shaped) like #3 and #5, rather than oval like the standard #4 rib. I regularly use it when sailing with a Balogh sail rig. (After enlarging one of the holes in the T-bar foot control, the foot control gets installed around the forward-stepped Balogh mast to be a reasonable distance from the seated skipper.)

I had always thought that I could create a solo rib by cutting the standard polycarbonate #4 rib 3" or so inboard of each "ear". The cut piece could be reinstalled with brackets, bolts, and star knobs to revert to tandem configuration.

I believe I read somewhere that someone had success swapping the #4 and #5 ribs to create a solo configuration. I have not tried that.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm 
paddler

thanks very much for the good advice. We have an old Super at the cottage which i have paddled solo. It is quite a bit bigger than the Gll I think. I will mostly be sailing and fishing anyway, except for going up and down rivers. It is interesting that you mentionned cutting one of the ribs. I wondered whether there was a diy solution to this. I will have a look. I have aluminum ribs but they should be easier to bolt together than carbon. I knew I had seen a seat for this somewhere but no amount of searching could find it again. I used to regularly put a board across the Super washboards and sit. But, I think that was a stronger boat than this. but, you are giving me some encouragement and good ideas.
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 pm 
forum fanatic

At one time Folbot offered a motor mount with a counterweight to offset the weight of the motor.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am 
paddler

oldkayaker wrote:
At one time Folbot offered a motor mount with a counterweight to offset the weight of the motor.

yes, i know that. but, the picture you posted looks like a Super, rather than a Gll; the Super, i think, being bigger and stronger than the Gii. i may be wrong on that, though.
joe