Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:43 pm 
recent arrival

I've got my eye on a Greenland II Folbot to transport in my RV for a trip around the Great Lakes. The problem: the owner told me I needed to make sure the shell was dry before I removed it from the frame. Apparently early in his ownership he removed the shell from the frame while still wet and the material shrunk. He had to send the frame pieces back to Folbot to shorten. Travelling almost daily in the RV I don't see us being able to allow the shell to dry before packing it up and moving on to our next camping site. Was a one-time shrinking all that can be expected or do I need to worry about this going forward? I've looked at this foldable and the new Oru Bay but I prefer the Greenland for its durability and stability.

Finally, owner says it's a late 1990s model. It looks in excellent condition. He wants $900. Is that a fair price, knowing that any parts needed hereafter may be hard to come by?

What say all you experts out there? Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am 
forum fanatic

I have heard other people mention shrinkage but I didn't cordura nylon shrunk. I would be more concerned about surface mold. It will create a permanent dirty look to the deck and hull. You would want to be real meticulous about wiping down the hull down with a cleaner before packing it, as well as possibly having leaving it loosely rolled if you are storing it in one of the underneath storage boxes on the RV. Aything you can do to dry the deck and keep the compartment dry and aired out will help.

Price is ok. I have paid $450 for what was likely a similarly aged GII. If you can get lower, I would try.

HoosierPaddler
Folbot GIIx2 Kodiak x2, Edisto, and Citibot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 am 
recent arrival

I so appreciate your response. I would never store it wet long-term but moving around the Great Lakes in the RV I can conceive that we wouldn't want to sit to wait for the boat to dry off before packing up and moving down the road to the next paddle destination. Every few days though we would have an opportunity to let it dry. I was told that it dries fairly quickly.

Because of its bulk we will transport it on a small hitch rack, otherwise it takes up basically all the storage space in the Pleasure Way.

Thanks for your info. on price. I will try a friendly negotiation there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:59 am 
forum fanatic

If you buy it you need to do the following:

1. Clean it thoroughly, especially any current stains, this is also when you would address any deep gouges or holes.

2. After the hull is dry, apply the appropriate hull treatment after it has been thoroughly been cleaned, 303 Aerospace Protectant, read elsewhere in the forum for which one to use on the hull, different one for the deck

3. After deck is dry, apply the appropriate 303 UV protectant, allow to dry, then apply new coat of a water-repellent

The more you can do to keep water from being absorbed by the deck the better. If the GII is that old, the water-repellent probably has worn off.

I usually try to not use the kayak, the same day I am leaving. So if I was leaving tomorrow, I would paddle early today. Then allow it to dry the rest of the day. You might also use small fans to quicken the drying time. Again less water on the deck or in the cockpit, the fewer concerns to have. IMHO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:15 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks again. I do have and am familiar with 303 Protectant. The current owner says he uses Armorall on the Hypalon. He didn't say anything about applying a water repellant but I was wondering about that on the canvas. I'll be doing some surfing on this forum in the next few day. I so appreciate your help.