Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 am 
forum fanatic

Is it common for longerons of vintage Folbots to require zip/cable ties to connect each other well AND remain put in crossframe notches? Especially middle side and bottom longerons (those aluminum tubes)?

Mine is a 1963 Super tandem folding model, with wood cross frames and aluminum longerons. The bottom and middle side longerons would always pop out of slots of cross frames, unless I tied them with zip/cable ties. It is hard to keep longerons inside notches AND connected with each other at the same time. Tension on those side longerons is so high that they bend and almost won't stay put, unless I force them really hard. For my Folbot though, it can be assembled and it floats just fine; it is just that I have to fight with the assemble process.

Is that normal, do I need to fix anything there?

I apologize, if this is a well known issue that has been asked many times before. Thank you very much!

Edit: I searched in this forum and saw maybe 6 user posts mentioning similar issues. I have not found a solution though, if a solution is necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:19 pm 
forum fan

I had a 1971 Super TSF, it did the same thing. I never worried about it then. Some times I would pop them back in the notch. Some times they stayed and some times they didn't. Never affected the use.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 pm 
forum fanatic

naedr wrote:
I had a 1971 Super TSF, it did the same thing. I never worried about it then. Some times I would pop them back in the notch. Some times they stayed and some times they didn't. Never affected the use.

Thank you very much! You are very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 am 
forum fan

I think it is very common. I have a 2003 Yukon and a 2010 Kodiak with all aluminum frames and they both do the same thing.
I use 1" wide strips of velcro and just make a loop to secure the 2 bottom longerons to the center frame and evrything holds just fine.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:49 am 
forum fanatic

Thank you so much, Paul!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am 
forum fanatic

Been there. I addressed both of these in a post titled "Longeron connections and frame notches" May 22, 2017. mggrady