Replacement skin

Moderators: mje, krudave

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Replacement skin

Post by RangerTim »

I just saw what looked like a new Klepper tandem on top of a pickup truck. It turned out to be an old Folbot, possibly a Super. The owner had the boat reskinned through Wayland in the UK, though the work was done in Poland. This was the first of this model the company had reskinned, so the owner had to ship the entire boat to Europe at substantial cost.

The end result looks great. It really does look like a Klepper skin on a Folbot. I'm guessing the factory is the same one that makes Klepper these days. The hypalon is smooth and tough, with rub strips on the keel and chines. The fit appears tight - no deck wrinkles. I do not know if the factory could duplicate the zippers in a GII deck.

I wouldn't think this would be a cost effective replacement given the Craigslist availability of used boats in good condition. But if I loved my Folbot and used it in shallow water with oyster beds and barnacle-encrusted submerged tree limbs [as in Everglades National Park], I would sure consider it.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

HoosierPaddler
forum fanatic

Re: Replacement skin

Post by HoosierPaddler »

Did he give you an idea on his cost, and the expected cost for just a skin?

Hoosier Paddler
GII x2, Kodiak x2, Edisto and Citibot

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

As the re-skinning was done through the Wayland dealer in the UK he might be able to give you an idea of the cost if you send him an email.

Arrow71
paddler

Post by Arrow71 »

HEY!!!!

Just a quick follow-up to this....The skin described by Tim is holding up well past it's second season. Yes, the folks that ARE THE KLEPPER factory in Poland are in the re-skin business.....You have to box....a UPS type store is great for this....$100...2 big boxes to include the frame and skin.

Find a shipper that does international shipping They pick up at your home, fly it there and then deliver to Wayland boats in Reading, UK.....$250 from Ga, USA

Cost of the skin and labor.....$1500 or so

Return ship same as above...…….

The job they do is Factory and HEAVY DUTY.....No complaints about the boat now that I have a better than Folbot design rudder, sails and outriggers

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

Good to hear! An old Folbot lives on...
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

It,s good to hear that Wayland have done a good job considering all the negatives that we read about with this company.

Return to “Folbots”