New member, New old Folbot

Moderators: mje, krudave

Birchisland
recent arrival

New member, New old Folbot

Post by Birchisland »

Hello everyone, I am Bob, live in Pennsylvania.

I just acquired the wood and aluminum frame/skeleton of a 14 1/2 foot x 35" Folbot. Not sure of the model name.

The skin is in shreds but the skeleton appears complete. Two of three plywood frames should be replaced but the old ones are good enough to use as patterns. The remains of the skin are still in place and I would like to remove it. This is where I have questions:

This boat uses aluminum tubes and 4 of the 6 sliding tube to tube joints seem to be seized. Suggestions?

The two thumb bolts at the ends of the coaming are also tight, but I can probably figure this out.

With these loosened or removed I can skin this cat.

I am not at all sure I want to keep the beastie, but I do want to take time to study how it works. All the little fittings are fascinating.

My second Folbot. Earlier this year I fixed up a Cayat, passed it on for what I had in it.

My thanks,

Bob

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: New member, New old Folbot

Post by JohnSand »

Hi Bob, welcome aboard!
I have three Folbots of varying age. I haven't had seized tubes, but I wouldn't hesitate to use penetrating oil on them since you are discarding the skin.
You might have a Shorty or a Super Jr. Someone who knows the old models better will come along, or I will check some literature.
Keep us posted.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

For your seized tubes - do you know if it is salt corrosion that caused it?
For salt water you could try 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. If you see some fizzing you know it is doing something.

There is a product called "Salt Terminator" made by CRC (Item # SX-22) It is basically a mix of water and sodium nitrate. I use this in my frames after wallowing around in the ocean and so far had good luck with it.

There is also "Salt Away" product, again water and sodium nitrate mix I think.
With the chemicals you need time for them to work their way into the corrosion, maybe overnight.

Here is an off the wall suggestion:
If you have a vise with the plumbing jaws to hold pipe You could try placing the section with the joint in there and just hold it_NOT Tighten down like a gorilla. You just want to hold it.
Get a small 10 oz. hammer and do a rapid tap dance on the outside of the vise. The idea is to get the vibrations to travel down into the tubing and break the molecular bond between the two pieces stuck together.
Worth a try if nothing else works.
You do not want to squeeze the tubing and try to pull it apart in the vise because you will scratch the tubing as it moves.

Another off the wall suggestion is hot and cold. I did see a spray can full of a freezing chemical in some store somewhere.
Heat and by heat I mean just warm up the outside piece you do not want to melt it or cause it to loose it strength properties by getting it too hot.
Then spray the Freeze spray on the innner piece.
The idea here is to get expansion and contraction working to break the molecular bond caused by the corrosion. The aluminum absorbs heat and cold very fast so the hot outer piece may stay hot and the inner piece may contract faster then they can transfer the temperature difference between the two pieces.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

If you decide to use heat, I have found that boiling water works fine, no need for a flame. You can pour it over the parts from a tea kettle.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

JohnSand wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:33 am
If you decide to use heat, I have found that boiling water works fine, no need for a flame. You can pour it over the parts from a tea kettle.
That is a great idea!
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Birchisland
recent arrival

Post by Birchisland »

Thanks to you all. I will do a bit more with oil products, then try other chemicals, then heat. I may also try an aircraft style rivet tool on low pressure to give improved tapping. (Looks like an ordinary air impact tool but much more subtle).

The little bronze fittings that lock the coaming in place are particularly intriguing.

Bob

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

I just bought some replacement t-bolts for the coaming, I think from Sailyourkayak. They weren't cheap, but not crazy either, $15 a pair?
You could make your own by grinding carriage bolts.

Birchisland
recent arrival

Post by Birchisland »

An update:

I got everything apart. A couple of the sliding connections were bent, making them tight. I can envision a better but simple way of setting them up.
The tips of the stem pieces have rotted off. I saved one rotted bit as a sample. Overall, I would replace all the 6 frames and the 2 stems, probably could get them all out of one 1/2" sheet of MDO or decent marine ply. I'd also replace the wood in the coamings, but the floors seem to be fine. I think all the fittings are present and usable. One of the tube sections turned out to be steel conduit, so a 5' piece of 1/2" aluminum tubing will be needed. Probably some minor bits have eluded me.

There are the remains of two long skinny 'H shaped' wooden fittings that I haven't figured out.

The bottom fabric seems to be two layers of vinyl on cloth, with the cloth sides inward. Despite being torn and stiff it retains its shape and I think it could be used as a pattern. The upper fabric seems to be blue naugahyde but in terrible shape. I may have some blue Naugahyde....

Here is the upshot: this thing could be rebuilt or used for parts. I acquired it to study how it went together and I have now done that. I am too old and creaky to actually paddle something like this, so it it time for it to find another home.

I live in Carlisle PA. I don't want to have to keep it too long. If you are interested, tell me when you might pick it up....

The price: $ZERO, absolutely FREE!

My best,

Bob

Andan
forum fan

Post by Andan »

The old Folbot kits (for building a non-folder) did indeed use Naugahyde with the cloth sides laminated, and it worked quite well. Heavy but sturdy. After a number of years and a lot of use, my dad's Super was getting a little threadbare, so we put a couple of coats of latex paint on it, and that held up well too.

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

Nice offer, I hope someone rebuilds it.
Do you have the seat backs? Mine are soft, and one hinge is broken. If no one picks up the frame, I'm interested in those parts.

Return to “Folbots”