Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:48 pm 
forum fan

I have a '98 Greenland ll with a slow leak in the sponson on the right side. I haven't been able to tell where it is leaking--no audible leaking sound or air coming out of the valve that I can feel. It is a very slow leak, but I am thinking it should probably be repaired before our next major trip. Any advice on how to find the leak and fix it? Thanks.

Folbot: 1998 Greenland ll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:49 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Pull the sponson out of its pocket.
Partially inflate it.
Submerge it in your bathtub.
Once you've found the hole, most common vinyl repairs kits will work.

The trick is getting it back in the pocket when you're done.
The most common recommendation is to fold it over the end of a smooth, flat board and gently push it back into the pocket, being careful not to make a new hole in it. Once you've pushed it to the end of the pocket, carefully pull it back while holding the board still so the sponson slides around the end of the board and ends up in proper position at the end of the pocket. Repeat for other end.

It's tricky. Be careful.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am 
forum fanatic

I've had a similar experience with my recently purchased Aerius1. It was deflating during a 2-hour period. I resisted dismantling the boat. I listened intently at the valve, and detected faint humming, very faint. I decided to centre my attention on the valve area where I applied vinyl-friendly contact cement. (Klepper sponsons are vinyl; I suspect Folbot's are, too.). I let dry for a few hours, re-inflated the sponson, and waited. Two hours later the sponson had deflated just as before. I had avoided removing the sponson out of the sleeve as re-insertion is a bit like a trip to the dentist. Sponson out, I re-inflated it in the living room. This time, it held its air. No leak. Guess what it was? I hadn't completely screwed the plug deep enough into the valve stem. As simple as that. Mark at LongHaul kayaks has detailed instructions on line regarding repair and re-insertion of sponsons. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. Just google "removal and insertion sponsons" and Mark's instructions will come up. If your Folbot sponsons are urethane-based, aquaseal is recommended. Before doing anything else though, try tightening the plug!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:05 am 

It's here - number 15

http://www.longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/support/docs.php

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:40 am 
forum fan

Thank you, flatwater & martin, for the tips on fixing my sponson leak. I will try a more careful examination of the valve stem first to make sure that's not the problem before removing the sponson from the sleeve. If that's not it, I'll remove it and do the check in the bathtub and repair the leak. Thanks for the tip of long haul's video showing how to remove and reinsert the sponson. That should be very helpful!

Folbot: 1998 Greenland ll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:16 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

If you can find a way to tie or tape a line to the end of the sponson before pulling it out, then you leave the line in the sleeve while effecting the repair and then use that line again to pull the sponson back into it's sleeve.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am 

(Long Haul sponsons have a velcro loop on the end-- I don't know about Folbot.)

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:41 am 

No Velcro on Folbot sponsons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:52 am 

And no loop? Maybe gluing one on would be a good idea-- easy modification, makes this an easier operation, and makes it field-serviceable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:05 pm 
forum fanatic

Can a G2 skin be turned inside out? If so it seems that would simplify the sponson repair process.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:36 am 

Yeah, it can - sort of.
The aluminum strips bolted to bow and stern make it awkward to completely turn it inside out but it can be done - mostly. Probably enough to expose the full length of the sponson pocket.
That might make it all easier.
Since you can completely unzip a GII skin, I'd think you wouldn't need to turn it inside out though.

Sponson leaks are so rare that it would come up on the Folbot forum less than once a year. And it was usually with a new boat that split a sponson seam in the first few inflations. The instances I know of turned out to be a problem with the RF welder at the factory. Folbot simply sent a new sponson in each case.

Now repair has become a real issue.
Sigh.
:(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:48 am 

Pakboats had a bad run of sponsons in 2004, and Long Haul in 2002-- I ended up with at least one of each. They were both very good with replacements, especially Pakboats which fedexed a replacement to me in France when I was on my trip (!).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:01 am 

In the Repair Section there is an item," Punctured klepper sponson," it might help. You will have to scroll down to it. It is on page one. There are a couple of photos that might help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:26 am 
faltbootemeister

Mangoes, you can search YouTube "Folbot sponson" for a short video on reinserting a sponson. My experience with older Folbot sponsons is that the adhesive holding the valve to the tube goes bad. You can run the bubble test with a basin of water and perhaps save yourself the trouble of removing/replacing the sponson. I have used Aquaseal successfully to reset the valve and also to repair holes in vinyl sponsons.

A bit of a tangent, but I have also used Aquaseal to adhere sew-on velcro to Folbot decks. On boats where the rudder cradle velcro mount attaches directly to deck material [rather than to a zipper cover] the stock self-adhesive velcro strip often lets go.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:16 am 
faltbootemeister

I just had occasion to reinsert the sponsons into a 2003 Yukon. The reinsertion method demonstrated in the Folbot YouTube video did not work. The video suggests using a "long yardstick" to push a sponson, folded-lengthwise from end to valve, into the sleeve. When the valve reaches the sleeve opening, hold on to that part of the sponson. Continue pushing the yardstick. The unheld part of the sponson is supposed to slide along the yardstick until the bitter end of the sponson reaches the bitter end of the sleeve. I tried it using a broom handle, but my old vinyl sponsons would not slide along the handle. Perhaps the newer, more flexible fabric sponsons will.

I resorted to pushing the uninflated sponson into the smoothed sleeve. The bow section went in without problem. The stern section did too, until the last six inches. I kept feeding in and smoothing the sleeve but feeding from the sleeve opening was not working. Reaching toward the stern as far as I could, I pulled the sleeve only back toward the bow. Then I included the sponson in my grip and pushed toward the stern. A few iterations later the last bit was fully into the sleeve.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6