Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 90's Folbot repair
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:20 pm 
paddler

I have a 1993 GII with two repair issues.

1) One of the tabs on the plastic locking plates has busted off. If Folbot were in business, I'd write them for a replacement plate. Anybody have a stock of these or know where I can get one? Don't see any right now on eBay. Any way to weld or glue the plastic tab back on?

2) The sleeves holding the sponsons have come unglued. Best way to repair? (Sponsons themselves are recent replacements.)

Apologies if answers to these questions are already on the site somewhere...feel free to point out where, if they are.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Sure hope Folbot isn't sunk forever.

Post subject: Re: 90's Folbot repair
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:24 am 
faltbootemeister

jpsullivan wrote:
1) One of the tabs on the plastic locking plates has busted off.

I assume you mean the square plates holding the keel tubes or side frame tubes together. The tab you mean is the spring tab in the center of the plate?
If that's correct, you can do without those tabs by using old tire stems or hard rubber corks to lock the crossframe in place by putting the stem or cork in the round part of the keyhole that the crossframe slides into.
Attachment:
keel_plate.jpg

Quote:
Anybody have a stock of these or know where I can get one? Don't see any right now on eBay.

Highly unlikely you'll find one unless someone is parting out a trashed GII.

Quote:
Any way to weld or glue the plastic tab back on?

No.

Quote:
2) The sleeves holding the sponsons have come unglued. Best way to repair? (Sponsons themselves are recent replacements.)

I assume you mean they've come unglued from the skin. Or do you mean the seam of the sleeve has opened? Either way, you may be able to glue it back together.
You can try to re-glue them with shore cement or some similar contact cement.
Your GII is old enough that I'm not sure how the sleeve was originally made - whether sewed, glued, sonic welded or RF welded.

Quote:
Sure hope Folbot isn't sunk forever.

As do we all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 am 
paddler

Thank you, Flatwater, for such a helpful reply! (Sorry it's taken me several months to thank you.)

Yes, in my case the broken plate tab is on a side frame. The idea of using rubber corks is genius! Looking forward to trying it. I'm guessing some of these tapered solid rubber stoppers would do the trick <http://www.widgetco.com/1-rubber-stoppers-plugs>, but will have to measure the holes to check the size. It obviously can't extend through the hole very far and you also don't want it sticking out very far. I imagine they might be difficult to get out once wedged in, but I leave my boat set up for long periods, so probably no biggie.

Wondering if tabs breaking off is common on these older Folbots? So far only one has on my 1993 GII.

On the sponson sleeves, yes, they've both become unglued from the skin. If anyone can recommend a particular brand of cement to use, I'll be grateful.

Very sad that we've heard nothing about Folbot in the last year. :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:26 am 
forum fanatic

I have had success with pop rivetting a new tab onto the locking plate. I made the new tab out of PVC sheet. Make the new tab long enough so you can fix it with two rivets just inboard of where the original broke off. You can bend the new tab to the correct angle with a heat gun.

I too have had problems with the sponson sleeve glue join. Contact glue will work but I can't recommend a type as my favorite type won't be available in the States.
Cheers Jim