Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 am 
recent arrival

I'm new to this forum and currently have a GII with upwind sail package. I've been enjoying sailing the GII solo but feel there may be a better way to rig the main sheet, etc than I am currently using. I've googled this topic but have found no useful info since the folbot website is down. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how best to rig (and or alter the standard setup) to get the most out of my boat?
Thanks I advance!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 am 
forum fanatic

Hi Mic,
What vintage is the sail rig? Is it just the sail and lee boards or do you have the newer one / out rigger/stabilizers? Add a pic if you have one.

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:47 pm 
recent arrival

It's a circa 2003 I believe. Hypalon skin, etc. boat is at my cottage but I found a pic on the web that looks like it. It has the outriggers as shown there and a single lee board.

https://www.google.com/search?q=greenla ... nSmTlgEzQM:

I have fun sailing it but it seems like it takes a bit of wind to get it moving (I mostly sail solo from the rear). I usually have difficulty tacking and have to give it a bit of a paddle to do it swiftly.

I'm not much of a sailor but crewed on a hobbies for years so I think I have the basic idea. I cam imagine a number of ways to run the lines with and without extra boards, cleats, blocks, etc. I'm just wondering what most people do.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 am 
forum fanatic

Hi,
I have sailed that vintage sail rig and found the same experience of minimal upwind performance. The lee board will work in light air and is better for reaching than tacking. Most lines are up to you to make them work for your chosen seating configuration.
Our folding tandem always needs a few paddle strokes to help it come about. There is a Folbot Flotila that meets each January/February in the everglades. We go each year and it is a great way to meet other kayak sailors. Most of us have chosen the Balogh Sail designs rig which has better upwind performance.
Here is the link:http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7318&p=39397&hilit=flotilla#p39397
There are also two more gatherings in the South east and I host one up in Maine every August in the Rangeley Lakes Region. There is a facebook page called the "sails angels" or PM me for more details. Happy Sailing

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 am 
recent arrival

Thanks for the reply. I've come across the BS sail in my internet wanderings and it seems the sail of choice. I'd love to join you guys and gals in Florida but I'm in michigan sailing on one of the medium sized inland lakes...lake bellaire.
Happy sailing