Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:51 am 
recent arrival

Hello All....this is my first venture into kayaking: I picked up a 1996 GII (non expedition model) with the poly carbonate cross members: I kept it assembled in my basement for the last 2 years and it wasn't used by the previous owner for a few years: There were three small patches in the deck material and the hull appears to be in good condition: The patches were all easily removed and had completely failed: My question is about the hypalon; having no previous experience with this material I don't know what to look for to determine condition and how to prepare it for the upcoming season: It has a dry feel and probably needs some application of something to restore it: There are no cracks; tears or repairs anywhere: I read about using 303 protectorate but then read that 303 interferes with repairs if needed.
The Aluminum is in excellent condition and came apart easily..I sprayed with the recommended anti-corrosive spray: I noticed that 1 pop rivet had failed and a half dozen others were oxidized and questionable: Would I be better off using stainless screws, vs the specialized rivets to repair? The deck repairs will be done using 3m5200FC....Any additional thoughts and suggestions always greatly appreciated and thank you...Skip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 am 
forum fanatic

Hi Skip,

I would not use screws. Some suitably sized aluminum or stainless steel rivets are reasonably priced as is a basic pop rivet gun.

If you aren't needing any repairs I would give it a good cleaning and apply the appropriate 303 or a similar automotive or boat product. I've used Meguiar's products when i couldn't find 303 locally. Remember not to use a product for the hull, on the deck and vice versa. There are different 303 products for both the deck and the hull.

HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, Citibot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:30 am 
recent arrival

Hello HP
Thank you for the information...I read thru most of your past postings and have learned quite a bit...In one of the postings you mentioned " possibly looking into finding a metal fabricator to replicate the original aluminum washboards"...Like many GII owners with twisted poly washboards, I've been unable to locate aluminum boards: My solution is to utilize the existing poly boards as a "core" surrounded by 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum flat stock; That adds about a 1/4" to the width of the washboards, and the height would not be affected: The aluminum would be bonded to the poly with 3m5200FC....and also as a cap on top of the boards bridging both aluminum side pieces and the top of the poly boards. I may have some difficulty around the bow section of the boards where there is a built in contour....
If you have any thoughts or suggestions...Tnx Skip

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:46 pm 
paddler

I'm going to chime in here too and say that I'm interested in your response/answer to the fabricator/washboard question too. I have a friend that is in need of a washboard replacement for his Yukon (someone had borrowed the boat and somehow lost the piece). AND having had to get Folbot to repair some aluminum pieces in the past on my G2 I'm anxious to know about options for the future.

Folbot Cooper (2013)
Airis iSUP
C4 Waterman V1/14 SUP