Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am 
forum fan

Hello everyone,
Well, I have had a folbot for about a year, now. And the sad truth is that I have not used it very much. I have other boats that I use more regularly. So, I am thinking about selling it this spring. It is a Greenland II, fairly recent. I am wondering how I would go about finding the year on the boat in order to advertise it for sale?
thanks G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 am 
forum fanatic

I do not think they stamped the year on the boat. You might want to add a pictures of it and someone might be able to give you a general idea. You caught my interest on selling it. I have a Pakboat Puffin Swift that I believe I am too heavy for and I will be looking for a bigger kayak. I thought a 2 seater would support my 250 pound frame.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

The only way to date it I know is by features. Are the ribs aluminum, or plastic? Is the cockpit rim/coaming aluminum or plastic?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:25 pm 
forum fan

Regarding the boat. Everything is aluminum, the ribs, the combing. It is a fairly recent boat. I bought it from a guy who was the first owner and he, I think, bought it in 2008 or so.
G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:56 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The GII had all aluminum frame and combing in 2004 so the boat isn't older than that unless the owner did upgrades from poly to aluminum.
Is there no tag sewn into the skin with the HIN on it?
I'll have to check, but I think they began doing that around 2008, certainly by 2010.
They also put an HIN sticker on one of the crossframes which may or may not still be there.

This is a quote from Alv (owner of Pakboats)

"The US Coast Guard requires a hull id number to be included on all boats sold in the US. The first 3 letters identify the company (Folbot), the next 5 is a serial number, but the first of those 5 can be used by the manufacturer to identify your model. I do not know if Folbot did this. The next two positions (a letter and a number) indicate month and year of production, and the last two digits give you the model year. You should find the HIN somewhere near one end. The USCG requirement has been in effect for several decades."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hull numbers have been required on canoes and kayaks since 1972. However, the chance of the Coast Guard boarding and inspecting your kayak on rivers and inland lakes is not very high.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:50 pm 
forum fan

sorry i havent kept up on this. been at other things. I will try to go down tonight and check those points that you mentionned for the year thanks
g