Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 pm 
recent arrival

I am 95% sure I am going to buy an inflatable. Would you say it is safe to use while fishing? I have some worries that I could puncture it with a hook? Most seem to be made very strongly, so I do not view this as a huge concern, but I just wanted to see if anyone could speak from experience.

-thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:03 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum.

My worry has always been more about the fish doing damage than hooks. Sharp teeth and sharp spines on fins... I haven't run into any problems yet on my Kleppers... but then again I haven't caught that many fish yet on my Kleppers, ha. What will you be fishing for?

dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

I think one of the better inflatables, with a heavy, laminated hull, would be safe. You might have problems in one of the cheaper boats with a thin PVC hull.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:11 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Larry,
It might depend a bit on what kind of fishing you do and with what kind of tackle?
After all, float tubes and river pontoon boats are inflatable! Just browse through a Cabelas catalog sometime.
But I might be hesitant with heavy ocean fishing tackle, especially treble hooks...
My fishing? Just the occasional fly fishing along smaller rivers for trout or steelhead.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:23 pm 

Steelhead... there's one I haven't heard anyone speak of in a while. I guess I'm out of my fishing circles these days.

Where do you go Chris?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:15 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Dennis,
Ah, steelheading. While legendary, it is getting more iffy all the time. If you really want to catch them, you quickly end up going with a guide in a drift boat (gets serious $ wise...). I have done the Eel South Fork, Russian, Feather (in Oroville of all places) Trinity and Rogue. All from shore, except the Rogue (Just too cheap to normally hire a guide...). Rogue is currently by far the best.
The Eel should be the best, but between logging, water diversion and Sacramento Sucker fish introduction steelhead have a rough time. Add our current low flows...

Larry,
To follow up on my earlier post on inflatables: I was at a Paddle Fest Saturday on Lake Natoma (by Sac'to) organized by a local kayak shop. There was an entire stand with inflatable fishing kayaks.
Spoke with the reps and they agreed with me that you might want to be careful with big treble hooks and heavy ocean fishing tackle. But otherwise those kayaks are made for fishing.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:24 pm 
forum fanatic

If using a inflatable kayak/dinghy for fishing, may I suggest having a hard plastic box to put the fish into.?
Kayak fishers in New Zealand sometimes use a Esky/chilly bin for this. It also has the advantage of not releasing blood into boat/water which can attract trouble. You know what I mean. :shock:
I've found this to be the safest method as boat/legs are protected from sharp dorsal spines. Just throw a damp cloth over the fish after lifting into boat. This both calms them down and enables you to safely (for you AND fish) to catch and release if desired.

I use a hessian sack for this. Kept on Big Boat to store coconuts in. (kept damp with salt water) and with food placed into a dry bag inside, will keep food cool even in Tropics.

It also will keep the fish cool and preserves flesh.

May I also suggest you spray alcohol into the gills to instantly kill them. This means you don't need a spike to iki them, i.e. one less sharp thing in boat. Cutting the gills to kill them also means a sharp object and makes a LOT of mess over boat/self.
Go well, Wayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:20 am 

I never heard that about spraying alcohol into the gills. How is that done?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:02 am 

DLee wrote:
I never heard that about spraying alcohol into the gills. How is that done?

d

You keep a bottle of cheap booze on deck and you take a swig but do not swallow, when you hook a fish. When you bring the fish next to your kayak, gently lift the head out of the water and spit the liquor in its face.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:17 am 

Aaard' 'magine rum matey?

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:35 am 
forum fanatic

Aargh, just save the rum.
Take a swig and swallow. Then bite fish behind eyes like the locals do.. the kiss of death :(

I first tried the alcohol in the gills thing after reading it on a Yacht Forum. Just use a small squirt bottle and squirt into BOTH sides of Gills. Works a treat.
Great on Wahoo. If you have never seen one, check them out. Look like a Barracuda on steroids. If you a not using a steel trace, wave goodbye to that expensive lure !
Enjoy the Journey, W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Trout fishermen use a "priest" - a little brass headed mallet they whack the fish's skull with to dispatch it. No sharp edges.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:58 am 

I abandoned my priest when a serious knock on the head popped the eyes out of the poor little guy. Somewhat unappetizing... I don't think I've killed a trout, purposely, since.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:28 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi ChrisO, I heartily agree about the not using treble hooks.
I grew up on the water and still live on it 24/7.
Treble hooks are nothing but a blasted nuisance and catch more fisherman than fish. They always seem to hook up on everything else other than fish.
I remove them and replace with doubles as they are FAR LESS likely to catch YOU or the boat.
I suggest putting some red shrink tube on shaft before/after attaching split ring, as the ring can slide down and off hook.
A piece of stainless or Monel wire will do same. The red tube does attract fish. Red wool trailing from lure also looks like blood and excites fish as well..
Only issue I've had with the doubles is hooking up to big Mahi mahi which can crush them flat with their top palate.
We have lost a lot of fish when trolling with trebles before converting to doubles. Keep those hooks SHARP. Unless they are chemically sharpened OR you do it yourself, most hooks are simply not sharp enough out of the shop. Using Vaseline on them will slow rusting process. YES, even stainless steel points rust very quickly. (same day)
Tight lines :P