Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:55 pm 
forum fan

http://www.wayland.com.pl/images/storie ... ts2011.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:10 pm 
Good. Not much new (I've browsed their site may times before) though it looks like they added a few close-ups here. Something that people might have missed when checking their site - not many companies make 2.5- and 4-seaters these days. 120 lbs stripped bare weight is a lot, but we're talking about 23ft boat!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:17 am 
forum fan

I was mostly interested in international shipping costs for new boats and hulls. There had been some unresolved threads where people were unhappy , or unsure, about these fees. The Wayland replacement hulls are competitively priced, but Poland is halfway around the world from the US.

The rates are: (pg. 43)

USA hull 125 kayak 1 188 kayak 2 250

Can. hull 150 kayak 1 213 kayak 2 300

Tom,
Tucson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:35 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen their catalog before and as Alex says it shows some good close ups which don't seem to be on their website. And the shipping prices are very useful too.
Thanks again.
Ian

(I wish they'd pay me, or another native speaker, to help out with their English though; it's a slick brochure photographically and the text deserves to be as well done.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks very much for posting this, Tomwall.

I, too, have thought about how to polish up the translation for final presentation to English-speaking people ... certainly for American-English speaking potential customers. Too late for the 2011 publication, but perhaps for their 2012 product listing.

I'll grant that they're reaching out to relate better to global customers. That's got to be tough in this economy and for a small, niche business. I give points to them for their effort. I thought the layout and content was pretty nice, irrespective of my thoughts on the translation. I hope they continue to succeed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:20 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

"I, too, have thought about how to polish up the translation for final presentation to English-speaking people..."

Kenton, I am going to give you credit for this, whether you deserve it or not. "Polish/polish" is the only commonly-used word in the English language that has a different meaning, based on pronunciation AND whether the first letter is capitalized. I hope you meant to do that.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:14 pm 
Google translation robot is good enough to "navigate" through pages like those in Wayland Polish site. (And they already translated most of their site in English couple years ago). I would say that their level of "American English" is better than in manuals that we get with reputable brands of electronics lately, since "globalization" (= corporate greed) moved all the manufacturing you know where.

Re: shipping prices.
I recall those earlier posts - people complained that they were charged extra when picking up at the cargo terminal here, even though Waypland promised that "everything" was included in price. With cross-border shipments one has to be really knowledgeable in customs and shipping companies regulations in order to estimate the total cost correctly.

I am 100% positive that in case of Canada the quoted price $213 for single kayak and $300 for a double is understated, mostly because of notorious Canadian taxes and partly because of brokerage fees or handling fees. All these extra charges are "local" - they are either taxes or charges by customs brokers on "this end". When importing something over $20 OR when it is not shipped by US Postal Services, I prefer driving 30 miles to the border and 1 mile into WA state and pick it up there at private shipping outlet (which is neither US Post nor Fedex/UPS/DHL office), rather than receiving it in Vancouver.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:42 pm 
faltbootemeister

gbellware wrote:
"I, too, have thought about how to polish up the translation for final presentation to English-speaking people..."

Kenton, I am going to give you credit for this, whether you deserve it or not. "Polish/polish" is the only commonly-used word in the English language that has a different meaning, based on pronunciation AND whether the first letter is capitalized. I hope you meant to do that.

g

I did.

I went through a short list of other phrases which seemed to me to sound as though I was disparaging Wayland. Therefore I stuck with an Americanism hoping more to appeal to American-English speaking readers than to sound like a harsh schoolmarm looking down on Wayland.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:40 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Alm wrote:

.....Re: shipping prices.

I am 100% positive that in case of Canada the quoted price $213 for single kayak and $300 for a double is understated.....

These prices are quoted in euro, according to their catalog. Alex, would that make them more realistic then?

By the way, I know that some people fly to the US from Europe to take delivery on Feathercraft kayaks. Perhaps it would make sense to do the same with Wayland kayaks, in opposite direction though.

I agree that their translation to English is somehow awkward, to say it mildly. Anyone volunteering to offer them free editing?!!

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:11 pm 
gregn wrote:
These prices are quoted in euro, according to their catalog. Alex, would that make them more realistic then?

I didn't read that page, sorry. Roughly 213x1.4=$CAD 298? High enough to be realistic, but don't forget about other things:

1) Courier services have "brokerage fees" attached upon receiving. Shipped from Poland by some local service X, it is probably re-loaded onto North American or Canadian service at the Canadian point of entry, and then brokerage fees depend on that second company. Exceptions are truly international companies like UPS, DHL and Fedex that don't re-load to another service. They list UPS among their partners, but they also list a bunch of unknown companies (presumably - Polish or European). May be UPS is one of high-cost options, but even if it's standard, UPS brokerage fees for Canada are horrendous.

2) You pay PST/GST/HST tax. They say "VAT included", but it's not clear if they also mean Canadian equivalent of VAT. They warn that prices are approximate, btw.

3) You may also have to pay import tax imposed on anything that comes from outside NAFTA zone. I did, on PA sail rig from New Zealand.

Quote:
Perhaps it would make sense to do the same with Wayland kayaks, in opposite direction though.

I doubt anybody will do it, unless they combine it with other plans in Poland.

Quote:
I agree that their translation to English is somehow awkward, to say it mildly. Anyone volunteering to offer them free editing?!!

I didn't read anything but specs. Yes, phrases like "our confidence in the quality is reflects in the guarantee we offer" don't look like professional translator's work. May be robot translation brushed up slightly by somebody in the company. There are good professional translators in Poland obviously. It would only cost few hundred bucks to proofread it here, even with steep Canadian prices, apparently they didn't want to invest that much.