Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:11 pm 
forum fan

Hi Alex,

We are unaware of anyone using the Tripoint adaptor on a Folbot. It will likely fit on the Longhaul as they are quite similar in design to a Klepper.
We have however received correspondence from several Folbot owners describing how they created their own custom mount for the Kayaksailor.

Cheers,

Patti and Dave

2 Pakboats XT 15s
Self built West Greenland style SOF
Self built Polar Greenland style SOF
CD Squamish
Necky Eskia
WS Tarpon 140
OK Prowler Trident 15
Tahe Reval Mini TGC lite
Tahe Ocean Spirit TCI lite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:33 am 
faltbootemeister

Hi Patty & Dave,

Any plans on offering assessories/rig alternatives made specifically for folding kayaks?

For example, a proper D-ring permanently attached on each end of the "cross" would simplify attachment with straps, and make that setup less prone to flex and move around on the deck. And adjustable "footrests" that can be attached to the crossbar, one on each side, preferably with dual axle movement (to work on hulls with different angles) would also be quite useful I think. Would reduce the stress on the crossbar that has a tendency to bend and flex with straps pulled tight. (=Leaning rig & loss of efficiency)

The various inventions from folding kayak owners seem to suggest there is a need. The above might be useful to hardshell kayak owners also probably.

Just curious, if you have anything in the works, I might hold off on making my own modifications/add-ons.

Blog: jarladventures.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Patti and Dave,
Just curious, how long is the wait for the 1.6m sail at present? I notice the website says it is out of stock.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 pm 
forum fan

Hi MoeJoe,

Thanks for the post. No plans for a folding kayak mounting accessory yet.
We are of course always open for suggestions. We usually end up designing for the boats that we own and use on a regular basis.
The folders we currently use are Pakboats XTs and they require little if any mounting modifications.

I am interested in seeing a sketch of your ideas. Feel free to e-mail me. Perhaps I can assist in the design and prototype.

By the way, your new Nautiraid looks super sweet. Due to the hull shape, I think the 1.4m² is probably a better match for this boat.
I have been using the 1.4m² almost exclusively on my XT, and with the addition of the new prototype jib, the combination has more power, speed and pointing ability than the 1.6
with less heeling and hull flex.

Cheers

2 Pakboats XT 15s
CD Squamish
Necky Eskia
WS Tarpon 140
OK Prowler Trident 15
Tahe Reval Mini TGC lite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:49 pm 
forum fan

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting.

We had to switch machined aluminum suppliers for this production run and it has taken longer than expected to bring them up to speed. We are kind of perfectionists :roll:
Patti and I had hoped to have the 1.6 ready to ship out by now, but it looks like we won't have the parts available until after the new year.

Please send us an e-mail and we will be sure to keep you in the loop as to our progress.

Cheers,

David

2 Pakboats XT 15s
CD Squamish
Necky Eskia
WS Tarpon 140
OK Prowler Trident 15
Tahe Reval Mini TGC lite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:13 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Mojo, as regards fitting the Kayaksailor sails to fold-ups it,s really quite easy. Recently i fitted the 1.4 to a Folbot Yukon and in the last few days i fitted the 1.6 to my Aerius 2 so i can reach the sail from the back seat as i sail and paddle from there, of course i am alone in my boats. To fit the sail to the Aerius 2 is both simple and of very low cost, it requires two "cross bars" held on with Klepper "J" bolts and two "pipe clips" to hold the Kayaksailor cross tube down ( these hold the lee boards) the wood is being varnished right now (three coats) then i will post some photos in the sailing section. The biggest cost being the "J" bolts which i already have. The Folbot required a little more work and requires about 5 feet of 1x1 aluminium square tube, again photos will eventually be in the sailing section. But if you can manage with the sail being in a forward location Klepper America have what looks like a good mount.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Thanks for the reply, David. If it was easier to import into the UK I'd probably already have bought. As it is I'll be keeping an eye on your stock and pestering relatives travelling to or from the States in case they can manage to carry a spare sail for me. British customs and VAT otherwise tend to make costs prohibitive.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:22 am 
forum fan

I use my 1.6 KayakSailor on a Long Haul MK I, a Klepper Aerius II, a Necky Spike SOT without rudder, and now, a FeatherCraft Big Kahuna. Once you figure out how to mount it on your particular boat according to your particular views it's easy and fun. One of the lakes I sail on is very gusty at the end where I live and it's lively sailing. The rig handles it all beautifully.

I also have a WindPaddle and for what it is intended for it works very well. Used it on a long trip in Europe where I was fortunate that the wind came from behind/rear quarter almost all the time it blew. It's light, easy to rig and understand, and like the KayakSailor tends to de-power itself in gusts.

I have reefed the KayakSailor, not because I really needed to, but just for fun to see how it worked. Again, it's easy and works very well. I would not hesitate to head out onto water that had the possibility of strong winds. You can reef easily enough from the cockpit or stow the sail on deck in just a few seconds if needs be.

I am trying to imagineer a means to reduce the KayakSailor to the shortest and most compact bundle I can so as to take it with me on my next long trip "over there".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

All good stuff, glad to hear you are enjoying the wind. I am interested to see how you end up with a solution to the Kayaksailor packed-down size, it is something I have thought about but not done anything about. Go for it!

Thanks,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor
(sold) 1969 AEII, S2; Kahuna; '80s Klondike; 2005 Java