Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Sad news
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I will shortly be building a shed, more like a long cupboard, 24 feet long and to get round council regulations only 6 feet high and 5 feet 9 inches wide There will be windows. In it will go my Hobie, Triak and on a long shelf above them for the skins for the kleppers and folbot which will be laid out full length so no folds except along the length of the skins. I am now in a 200 year old terraced house with a narrow back yard, not like the place I had in Canada where two houses could have been built on my outdoor space.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:10 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Welcome to Britain and its housing stock, John. ;-) I live in similarly constrained circumstances and often cast an envious eye at our North American cousins!
Eventually, I hope to build myself something similar to fit my folding boats in. Though if I can make it a bit wider, I will. The height restriction is particularly irksome, as a little extra height would allow one to hang boats above one, leaving space on the floor for working on them!
Still hoping to make it out to the Scillies one of these days. But currently ramping up for my busy season of the year.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

As we are now going well off the heading I will go into the coffee house.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:12 pm 
recent arrival

I have had excellent results repairing both CRACKS and CLEAN BREAKS. I use fiberglass resin with multiple layers of thinly-sliced maple. I have recently returned from a paddle-trip to Thailand using one of the repaired combings -- so my work has been field-tested. I currently own 3 feathercrafts (a K1 and two K2's) and have 8 combings "in play" -- 3 of them bearing repairs.

For inquiries (and photos) contact me at wwLenzo(at)gmail.com; located in Saskatoon, SK.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:58 pm 
forum fanatic

Even 3 year pass FC closed the new production of all kayaks, I found FC legacy lived on. This is the golden time to buy used FC.

I believe FC generation is getting older and a little by litter, they start to leave center stage of kayaking adventure.

And new generation didn't know anything about FC but paddleboard. So I think any kayaker who start to think about buying folding kayaks, FC is still the best choice. Plus the price is cheaper than ever.

7 years ago when some of my Asian friends bought new FC, I didn't have right budget for any FC kayak. Those days, when FC price, many of them are around $1000, with some in great shape, the great chance is right here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 pm 
paddler

Is there a worthy substitute--light, sleek, easy-as-pie to get going--for the Feathercraft Aironaut? Delicate as it was (and is), it seemed to fill a special and especially nice niche for messing about in kayaks...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Tom,

I’m afraid the answer is “not yet”. I think drop stitch technology can do this, but so far no one has taken it far enough. In my opinion the closest closed cockpit solution is the Decathalon X 500, but this is still way too short and also too wide (and a bit on the heavy side at 16 kg). The ORU Coast shows a different approach and is longer, but sleek it ain't. I found the deck edges too high and wide for truly effective padding when I tried a demo, and I’m not sure I’d trust it in surf or high winds, for example. But it does get around the stability challenge resulting from the high floor that inflatable kayaks have.

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416 & Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 pm 
faltbootemeister

Finding a replacement for the Aironaut has been a topic here a number of times. It's a tough one. Not counting the newer inflatables with drop stitch material, the Innova Swing Ex LN seems close. It's shorter, wider and I think a little heavier, but the hull looks very similar to the Aironaut so they may share paddling characteristics. There are other similarities but I'll let you be the judge. It's sold at airkayaks.com and there is a descent review for it found in the kayak details. Should be noted that this is a closeout and I have not seen Innova's replacement for it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:52 pm 
forum fan

When I discussed options for a performance single with www.airkayaks.com which included the Swing EX LN, they said that for an experienced paddler, the AE AirFusion EVO is probably a better choice. At 13’ and only 24” wide, it is the narrowest inflatable that I’ve come across. The floor is not inflatable, and is therefore thinner and lower than most other current IKs other than ultralight pakrafts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:30 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I loved my original airfusion and always thought the Elite, the model that replaced it, was a retrograde step because it was so wide. The new Evo should be a great surf and rock gardening kayak as it will be more rigid than the earlier models. The downsides of the air fusion are that it’s more fussy to assemble than a pure inflatable kayak (not a big deal) and more importantly, the waterline length is very short, so you’ll struggle to keep up with sea kayaks in a group. Have a look at the video of any airfusion and you’ll see that about 50 cm or so of the bow is out of the water so the waterline length is nowhere near the advertised 13 feet total length

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416 & Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 pm 
forum fan

Yep, I agree that the airfusion boats take more assembly effort than a pure inflatable, but both are way simpler and quicker to put together than a traditional folder.

Given the concept of the AE EVO with drop-stitch side panels, I would hope to see a longer version, something around 15’ for a single, or around 17’ for a double. I would think that the weight could be kept between 40-50# and time to launch should stay around 15 minutes or less.

With traditional folders like Klepper or Longhaul weighing in at 70# for singles and 80+ for tandems and assembly times around 30 minutes or more, the new inflatables and hybrids like Pakboats are looking more appealing. While I have no personal experience with Pakboats, it looks like their hybrids have addressed the weight issue, but time to launch appears to be closer to the traditional folders.

All of our choices are compromises; performance, cost, weight, convenience, portability, storage, and longevity, etc. I’m excited to see that inflatable tech is finally starting to challenge the regular players and becoming a more viable alternative to rigid and folding kayaks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:22 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

In terms of matching the quality level and performance of Feathercrafts, I think the only current brand that does that AND improves the speed and simplicity of assembly is the Trak 2.0. Allegedly set up time is ten minutes. And the seaworthiness of the sleek hull rivals that of high end composite hard shells. Biggest drawbacks are cost (around $4,000) and delivery (they are months behind in keeping up with demand).

I must say that the assembly of my Pakboat Quest is much easier than that of my Feathercraft Wisper. And though I love the Wisper and would never give it up, the Quest is 10 pounds lighter and the performance is surprisingly close to the longer boat. Since the Quest at $800 (a factory demo) was 1/5 the original cost of the Wisper that's a pretty impressive value. And the Quest absolutely outperforms my first folder, the well made but somewhat chubby Kahuna.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I agree completely with Kerry about the Quest 135 (I haven’t tried the new 150 available again next year yet). As for the Trak 2.0, yes it is a lot quicker than the Feathercraft Wisper and quicker to assemble, but it’s also around 7 kg heavier, Which limits its portability for me, as much as I enjoy the effortless speed. In really rough seas, I would prefer the Feathercraft, because the seat is lower so it’s even more stable. Fortunately the Trak skin is very heavy duty and the warranty is very good, because the design is such that the two central ribs touch the skin, unlike any other folding kayak. So if you hit a rock there, there is the risk that it will cut the skin and damage the carbon fibre rib.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9