Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:50 pm 
Here are a couple of pictures and the dimensions for the strip I installed. I cut it from the hull patch material that came with my Kahuna. The material is 18 inches long, so that determined the length. But it fit the area I wanted to protect well. The strip is 4 inches wide near the cockpit and tapers to 3 inches. I rounded the corners to make it less likely to delaminate. No problems after two years.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ivntz1ww88.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/baj73tuok0.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:57 am 
Nice one doehlsen!

I still have the black strip of duck tape (some German brand stuff) on my Big Kahuna - impressing enough that it still looks good after several months and still sticks after around 10-20 dis-/assemblies including folding the skin!
Nice thing is that I can always replace this in a couple of minutes. My only fear is that the tape glue might damage the Polytech material over time, but so far all is well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 am 
forum fanatic

Living out of little bags is the condition defined as being Anoid. Everything else is Paranotic Confusement.
Anyway, I have a Kahuna Expedition and I did a 66 day trip with it last year. Sometimes went two and a half weeks between resupply and could have gone three. If you pack right and leave lots of stuff at home it works very well. Doing a similar trip this next year in Northern Europe and already have cut down on my last years' load by 15 lbs and a lot of volume. One thing I did that gained me a lot was to build my own bag for the Kahuna. The factory bag is just too bulky with a lot of gee whiz features that I never used. I cut off the backpack carry straps and tried to make it as light and compact as possible when folded. New bag I made is tougher material, lighter by 50% and substantially smaller when rolled and shoved into the bow or stern. It also does not mildew and mold like the original.

Upshot is I can get all kayak related equipage in one bag of under 60 lbs and everything else, including Klepper Cart, camping equip, etc in another bag of under 60 lbs and a backpack carryon with everything else. I quit flying economy when I retired so I don't worry too much about the 50 lb deal. I realize that a lot of people do, as I once did, but choices do need to be made. Boils down to additional cost to make a lifetime trip. What to do?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Cutting off the back straps was a very good thing to do. The stuff sack that I pack my Kurrent into when I schlep it down to Florida is nothing less than an instrument of torture when carried in back pack mode. Certainly not one of Feathercraft’s better designs.