Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:21 pm 
Well, being an idiot and trying to pull the stern assembly out out of my Kahuna I accidentally grabbed a shock corded piece of tubing and snapped the cord. Now while it doesn't actually affect the boat in any real way other than ease of assembly I was wondering if there was any way I could fix this on my own, as it doesn't seem like a big enough deal to pay feathercraft to fix it. Has anyone done this?
Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

My suggestion is to wait 'till winter and send it to Feathercraft. They'll fix it.

I always grab the rib to pull it out, but I know what you mean, it is easy to pull it by the tubes as well.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject: Send it to Feathercraft
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:57 am 
Just send it to Feathercraft; they will fix it for free...

When my shockcords all became loose due to age and wear; Feathercraft re-strung all my shockcords gratis !

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 pm 
jhartung wrote:
Well, being an idiot and trying to pull the stern assembly out out of my Kahuna I accidentally grabbed a shock corded piece of tubing and snapped the cord. Now while it doesn't actually affect the boat in any real way other than ease of assembly I was wondering if there was any way I could fix this on my own, as it doesn't seem like a big enough deal to pay feathercraft to fix it. Has anyone done this?
Jeremy

I grabbed those shock-corded tubes many times - in fact, you have to pull them when pulling the frame half out. But never managed to break the cord.

A while ago, I 've pulled the cord out cord somehow - don't remember how. Went to the factory, and they put it back in a few minutes and showed how to do it. Shock-cord is short, it doesn't go all the way inside the frame. The end of the cord is a knot (8-figure I think), and this knot sits behind the rivet. On the tube with the insert there is a washer covering the end of the insert, the cord goes through this washer and the knot is behind the washer. On the tube without the insert I am not sure about the washer, but you can see the rivet sitting in the tube without any apparent purpose - this rivet must be holding the shock-cord knot. So you need to drill the ribet out, place then knot behind it (or through the washer if this is the tube with the insert), and replace the rivet. Use a new piece of cord, of course, if it is actually torn. Rivet tool costs $15 with a set of rivets, but you may send it to the factory as well - won't cost much more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:40 pm 
I replaced a shock cord in my Kahuna, thanks.

The FC installed shock cord did not have figure-8 knots, and I would not recommend any knot that large, as the cord has to be fitted past the stud that holds on the plastic piece for the rib on the female tube, and a figure-8 will make it too large to do that easily.

Anyone contemplating doing this should insert the cord in the female tube first, and use a clamp to hold slack for doing the male tube.

Charlie Egleston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:37 pm 
Charlie, I'm not quite with you on this one. If it is not the knot, then what holds the cord in place?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:49 pm 
If I were paddling in a Galaxy far, far away from BC and had to make up a process for repairing the shock cord on a tent or kayak, I'd try using a wire such as a coat hanger, thread it into the tube, crimp the shock cord onto it and pull the wire back through. I haven't tried this on a tent or kayak, but it worked well threading the dang draw string on my swimming trunks... :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:43 am 
The knot pulling against the rivet holds the cord in place. A figure-8 knot was too large for me to put into the tube. Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:07 pm 
I think Charlie is right - it is a smaller knot. Those tubes have pretty thick walls, and with a female tube inserted (which is smaller yet diameter), 8-figure knot is too large.

PS: there is not much need to repair these shock cords in field. They are for convenience of assembling mostly. There is so much compressing tension in assembled FC frame and so little lengthwise extension movements (in course of paddling) that tubes stay connected with or without cord.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Alm wrote:
I think Charlie is right - it is a smaller knot. Those tubes have pretty thick walls, and with a female tube inserted (which is smaller yet diameter), 8-figure knot is too large.

PS: there is not much need to repair these shock cords in field. They are for convenience of assembling mostly. There is so much compressing tension in assembled FC frame and so little lengthwise extension movements (in course of paddling) that tubes stay connected with or without cord.

If I am not mistaken, the early K-1's ( pre '98 ) didn't even have shock cording, making assembly times ( along with other sub-assemblies ) a lot slower, not to mention keeping track of all of that loose tubing.

C.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:34 pm 
I used aluminum rivets from Home Depot for my first tube bungee replacement, guessing at the size of the rivet.

I want to be sure on my next bungee replacement, and for a small fee, FC sent me 6 each of the rivets for both of my boats, the Khats and the Kahuna. I am sure they would do the same for anyone else who want to try this. All the rivets look to have 3/16 bases.

One of the rivets they call a "long tugboat rivet" The shank is 7/8" long. Anyone know how to find these outside of FC?

Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

These guys seem to be the Rivet experts.

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet60.ht ... xgodil-vyQ

Thank God for Google

C.