Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:27 pm 
Hey Guys,

For the past 5 years or so, I've been paddling a large plastic sea kayak, a Perception Corona (14' and about 60 lbs.) and I'm looking to move into a good expedition type of folding kayak. The main thing I'm wrestling with is whether to get a single or double cockpit boat. I've always paddled my own boat, but would be open to bringing along company. I guess the short version of my question is, would a 5' 8" tall 160lb guy like myself be able to paddle/sail a Feathercraft K-2 or should I only be considering single seater boats?

Thanks,

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:18 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Paddling a K2 solo is a bear. You will need pleny of ballast up front. The Klondike can be set up for solo paddling as can Kleppers, Long Hauls and Nautiraids and some of the other double folders. But they are made to be paddled double and will not be as fast as a dedicated single when paddled in solo mode.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:01 am 
Ralph Diaz says - never buy a double "just in case", when you're not sure that will be paddling it as a tandem most of the time. And he is right. There are some slow, wide and heavy single folders out there - I don't want to put a finger on, people get attached to their boats and feel offended. Most of doubles, when paddled solo, will go same slow or with same amount of efforts, as the widest and slowest single.

If you still think that you need a double, and yet plan on paddling it solo very often, the first question to ask is - is it convertible to comfortable solo mode, with the paddler approximately in the middle? K2 isn't convertible. Klondike is convertible, and so are Longhaul and Klepper doubles, though Klondike is faster and lighter than the last two. Probably, the best convertible out there.

I'm not asking why you think you need a folder - though with a storage room for a recreational plastic kayak why not just get an expedition fiberglass one, I wonder. Used fiberglass kayak will cost a fraction of Klondike cost, and still good for another 10 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:00 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I agree with Alex and Chuck. Of all of the doubles out there, the Klondike would serve you best as a single paddler. Also remember weight. if you are on a long expedition with a lot of stuff besides you, weight is one of your principal enemies. Pulling your double above the tide line for example, can be tough in a loaded single and near impossible in some doubles.

I would consider a Feathercraft K1 and keep the Perception if someone wants to join you in the future.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

I think you'd be happy with a Kahuna, K-1, Folbot Cooper, or even a Long Haul Ute. One other thing: Please don't double post in multiple forums! ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:43 pm 
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I was considering the double because one came up for sale in my area. I want a foldable because I just got rid of my last car and I now travel exclusively on my bicycle (with Xtracycle attachment) and I'm not comfortable riding with my long kayak on-board. So my choice is a short plastic kayak (10 ft. or less) which can't hold much camping gear or a folding kayak. I think the folding boat will work best in terms of space and weight when loading on the bike, and it'll still give me room to pack some gear for an extended camping trip.

Thanks again for all of the replies...

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:40 am 
Randy, bicycles and folders don't get along well. Doable, but not perfect. It's being discussed here from time to time. You will want compact and light folder for this ordeal - preferably a one-bag folder. This is - for transporting it.

OTH, if you will have to transport the bicycle in your kayak, because can't leave it ashore... I don't know. This task requires large-cockpit folder, most likely a double. May be Klondike will do - I suspect the bike frame and wheels will still protrude above and beyond the deck. These 2 goals - boat on the bicycle and bicyle in the boat - are just incompatible (each of these goals separately is already a pain :-) ).

Some doubles are just not popular - K2 is one of them, or too abundant on the used market (like Klepper AEII), and they may come cheap. But don't rush to buy it solely because of the price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:34 am 
Quote:
I now travel exclusively on my bicycle (with Xtracycle attachment) and I'm not comfortable riding with my long kayak on-board.

Please explain how you now carry a long hardshell kayak on-board your bicycle with the Xtracycle attachment ? Send pics.
I've seen it done using a trailer, but even that looked a bit scary.

http://www.tonystrailers.com/kayak/

Carrying an bulky 75 - 85lb Klondike or K-2 ( folded) plus all gear would seem nearly impossible on-board a bicycle, even
with an Xtracycle attachment. A lighter weight K-1 would not fare much better on-board unless a small trailer were used
to carry the folded kayak. Then again, perhaps I'm missing something ?

http://www.carryfreedom.com/Y-Frame.html
http://www.tonystrailers.com/nomad/

Perhaps by combining a folding bicycle with a trailer, it would be possible to tow the kayak to the water, and then stow the bicycle on-board the kayak.

http://www.dahon.com/

Regards, Tom
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

I could probably carry any of my kayaks, including the double, on my Burley Flatbed Cargo trailer. It'll carry 100 lbs. If I use my folding bike, I can take both bike and trailer in the Kayak!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:03 pm 
Yostwerks wrote:
Carrying an bulky 75 - 85lb Klondike or K-2 ( folded) plus all gear would seem nearly impossible on-board a bicycle, even
with an Xtracycle attachment. A lighter weight K-1 would not fare much better on-board unless a small trailer were used
to carry the folded kayak.

Tom is right, you'll need a trailer. It's not just weight, but bulk of the bag as well. I've seen K1 backpack carried as a backpack, on shoulders, on the bicycle - but this is kind of a stunt. Folders weight in the specs is almost always a "stripped" weight, - bare boat without bag, seat or rudder. Kahuna is 35 lbs bare, 50 lbs packed. K1 is 51 lbs bare, 62-65 lbs packed. Plus, other necessary gear, even for a day paddle it's minimum 10-20 lbs extra to the 62 lbs of K1. And it is quite a bulky bag, making difficult to keep a balance. And if you'll have to load trailer in addition to the bicycle into a kayak... Well - you better ask somebody who tried this. I didn't.