Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Numbness in the K1 seat
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:27 am 
I have repeatedly experienced numbness at the side of my gluts paddling in my K1, after about an hour of paddling or so. Every time, if felt as if heat is building up in that area, and I had to shift around and try to adopt other positions to alleviate the problem. Is there any sort of modification needed to solve the problem, or might the use of an inflatable seat base on top of the current seat help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 am 
An inflatable seat might be the answer, but it will also raise your centre of gravity, and make you less stable. If you're comfortable with that, go for it.

When I've had this problem in the past, I've found that it was due to two things:

1. Keeping the knees in the 'locked' position all the time - ie being fully braced under the deck. This inhibits a fluid stroke and pushes your butt hard into the seat. And it isn't necessary. You can always find the braced position when you need it.

2. Having too passive a stroke. Bringing the legs more into the stroke will naturally keep things moving in the seat, preventing numbness.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:15 pm 
I tried using an inflatable 12"*15" Thermarest seat pad on the seat of my Kahuna (which is identical or similar to K1 seat, I think). It was not because of numbness, but simply because I needed this pad to seat on ashore and to use as a pillow, and in the boat with a multiday gear and food every cubic inch of under-deck room was precious. So I needed to put this pad somewhere. I tried this in my living room, and decided not to try on water. It didn't feel well - my butt and hips were squeezed around at the sides, due to the sling design of the seat. But like I said, I didn't try it on water - kept it under deck, so there was no need.

Try adjusting the front edge higher - pull those straps tight. And/or try playing with the backrest, pulling the backrest straps lower or higher, and with the location of the seat relatively to the Velcro on the sling - moving it back or forward about one inch. This seat has a lot of freedom of adjustments, and may be you haven't found the optimal configuration yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:17 pm 
I paddled this morning with Nautiraid Greenlander seat I use in the E-68 somewhat overinflated. Not bursting tight, but more air than usual. After about two hours, my butt hurt. For me, the right amount of inflation appears underinflated, but feels just right when sat upon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:29 am 
Thanks for the advice - I don't know why but I didn't really think about playing around with the seat adjustment. I had thought that the only thing adjustable about it is the inflated size of the back rest.

And yes, maybe I do not think too much about my legs when I am out at sea paddling. In my polo boat, using the lower body is crucial in keeping the boat moving tracking straight and steady, but I guess when I'm in the huge cockpit of the K1 I am just much lazier.

I do like my footrest tight against my body though, a habit acquired from playboating and playing polo, and that made me decide against using the rudders at all. I hope that's not a contributing cause to the numbness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:49 am 
I don't have an inflatable backrest in Kahuna (or it is optional), and found the stock backrest a little hard. So I've added a layer of foam into the back, and curved it in the anatomical shape, i.e. deeper along the spine and shallower to the edges. This helped. I've heard people complained about inflatble FC back that it bundles and doesn't work well - did you have any problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:50 am 
I don't have an inflatable backrest in Kahuna (or it is optional), and found the stock backrest a little hard. So I've added a layer of foam into the back, and curved it in the anatomical shape, i.e. deeper along the spine and shallower to the edges. This helped. I've heard people complained about inflatble FC back that it bundles and doesn't work well - I wonder if you had any problems?

Post subject: K1 inflatable seat back
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:10 am 
If I inflate the bag on the seat back, it creates a bulge (like a car safety bag) right in the middle of it. At first it looks really uncomfortable because I thought it should be supporting the lumbar rather than the mid-back, but once I sit in it's actually not that bad (either that, or I'm not fussy with it).

So, I cannot really point to that as the problem for my gluts numbness. What seems more likely is the way the seat sinks in at the back - will need to test that out by pulling it more to the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

My FC inflatable seat has the butt and back rest bladders. I had a similar numbness problem before I got it. It took about two times out and multi adjustments to the bladder pressures and positioning of the seat to get it right. Now I can paddle for hours. One of the best investments I have made with them :)

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Part of getting it right involves making sure there's support under your entire thigh. On some boats I have to stick an extra cushion in front of the seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:59 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

mje wrote:
Part of getting it right involves making sure there's support under your entire thigh. On some boats I have to stick an extra cushion in front of the seat.

I have actually done that by cutting a foam 'noodle' to the proper length and stuffing it under my thighs. My hardshell needs it more than my folder.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:40 am 
mje wrote:

I thought I read this advice somewhere else, but then again I had thought that not much of the thigh will be in contact with the seat if the knee is up and braced under the bars?