Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:47 am 
Oh, it seems I didn't express myself very well. The footrests are prevented from sliding by the thumb screw on the footrest. If you unscrew this a few turns, the footrest is now free to slide on the rail. You set it up one way or the other before paddling. This is explained (but not very clearly) on pages 24&25 of the assembly manual.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:28 pm 
Quote:
Please note - this isn't about how to install the foot rests but about how to steer... No offense meant! I thought maybe I hadn't used the right words in my post above... sorry if we're talking about two different things - I'll surely check the video, though!

So if you ease pressure off the foot rest (i.e. stop steering in one particular direction) the foot rest actually slides back of its own accord?

This is first time I hear somebody asking how to steer with these pedals, really... Or may be I'm missing something. Just slide the pedal forth on the side that you want to turn. And, - no, it doesn't slide back to neutral position on its own. Some hardshell kayaks have this feature, using a bungee pulling it back to neutral, - but not FC folders. Adjustable straps should be made tight, with rudder in the V-bracket and pedals each at the same location on its respective rail. Screws should be driven in as much as possible (so the knobs won't stand out more than necessary), yet not to a degree when they completely prevent the pedals from sliding. Very simple system (too simple, in my opinion).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:53 am 
Hi Nohoval and Alm,

sorry for my baby questions :D

I guess when I'm on the water it'll all be clearer anyways... paddle first, ask later - might not be the best idea after all, but might have helped here. Ah well... it'll be weekend soon, and we'll be off to a lake to go paddling... if it isn't raining cats and dogs, that is.

I can't wait to get on the water!

Thanks again for your help and patience,
Jana