Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My new old K-1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Well, if nothing else, my Big Kahuna was at its packing limit on a recent paddle trip in Alabama ( see trip reporting ). I am partly to blame as my tent is old and too heavy and big for kayak camping. I also tend to be redundant on some items, but safety and being well equiped is paramount for me. After seeing the room that Gerry ( K7Baixo ) had for his stuff in his Longhaul MK1, I made up my mind that 'expedition' grade was the next priority for my kayak camping.

Just as I returned from my trip last week and beginning my search for my next folder did I happen to find a nice 2004 Feathercraft K-1 on Craigslist. The most important thing for me was the fact that it was for sale locally!

This is a great boat as all of the reviews indicate. My gear fits in the cavernous hull like no other boat I have ever owned. Although I have not had it in the water yet, it will be the next enjoyable step in my FC ownership.

Sad to say that my great Kahuna is up for sale ( see classifieds ). I just can't keep them both at this time. I have taken full advantage of what folders do best with it though, travel ( http://www.chrisandbethtravels.com ). It has been a great boat. :D I'll miss the light, simple design of the Kahuna and may regret selling it someday, but the K-1 will keep me happy and help me to forget 8) .

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject: Re: My new old K-1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Congratulations, Chris.

Although I've never seen one in person, the K1 seems like a fantastic folder. Are you paddling mostly in fresh water these days? I'll be interested to hear how you like the kayak the more you use it. Specifically, as time wears on, will the expedition grade volume be worth more than the longer assembly times?

Happy paddling,
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:38 pm 
Paul, I've come to the same conclusion as Chris - Kahuna CAN be a multiday expedition boat for a light paddler, but loading is a pain when you have that much gear. In my last "expedition" it took me over 2 hours every time when I moved the camp. Including 45 minutes relaxed breakfast, though. And I had to make multiple trips with gear to the boat - it was a sea, not a river - tidal zone, wide beaches and shade far away from the water.

Assembling time doesn't matter in a multiday trip - you only assemble it once. Very few people are using K1 as a day paddle boat, and even those mostly keep it assembled all summer. Expedition-grade volume of K1(which I'll try and buy if will find in a good shape) worries me not because of the longer resulting assembling time, but because of considerably higher weight (15 lbs more) and longer wetted waterline. It will be more difficult to carry over shore obstacles (when you can't use a cart), and more efforts to paddle - both in calm weather and in wind, especially against the wind. But looks like there is no choice, if you want it to be a multiday wilderness boat. Anything else is way heavier than K1, and way more bulky when packed - more pain to travel with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Alex, Paul,
I am fortunate to have the space to keep it assembled most of the time. It is a bear to assemble over the Kahuna, but I have only done it once so far. I am sure I will be faster with practice.

Alex, my gear swims in the space of the K1 that was a tough pack on the Kahuna. I am sure the 'pack' time will be a breeze similar, but not exactly like the MK1.

Paul, I will do a lot of fresh water here, but will be on coastal waters a lot on S.C., Ga., & Fl. Interestingly, this 2004 boat has never seen Salt water. It was a real find.

Are you back from Abu Dhabi for good? No more folders in the U.A.E.?

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:35 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Alex, I hear what you're saying re assembly times not mattering on expeditions. I was referring more to the regular maintenance of dissassembling/reassembling FC kayaks every month or so. Of course, it's a mute point if you are only assembling the kayak for expeditions. My impression is that Chris leaves his kayaks assembled most of the time, which means he's taking them a part fairly regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:18 am 
Paul, regular manintenance should be revered, but not feared :-) ... After it stayed assembled for a month, taking it apart and assembling again is easier than when you do this after a month or a week of closet storage. Post-2000 FC skin is dimensionally stabile, but still I notice that it is easier after it stayed assembled for a few weeks. Besides, dissembling/assembling at leisurely pace in your yard, very likely - in shade, very likely - on some elevated surface - is a BIG difference from assemlbing on uneven terrain in the hot sun in sqatting and kneeling positions, looking at wristwatch all the time, because you have to load the gear afterwards and cover some mileage that day. At least - those have been my experiences with Kahuna, but K1 of the same 2000-2005 period is merely 20-30% more of frame parts, speaking of assembling. It is not twice more pain.