Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feathercraft ST
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:59 pm 
Hi, all,

Does anyone know anything about the feathercraft ST? A friend of mine is trying to sell me one, and there's hardly anything out there about it. Here is what I already know:

--It has a pretty high rocker, making it "maneuverable" (viz. it tracks terribly).
--It was discontinued quite some time ago.
--It uses square aluminum rods instead of the usual round, and assembles in a manner similar to kleppers
--it weighs a lot, for a feathercraft of its length.

My friend is almost 500 miles away, so I won't be able to see it before I make him an offer. Any details on this craft would be appreciated. Also, if there are online resources out there that I've missed, please pass them along.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Feathercraft ST
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:25 am 
I saw pictures of one of these - I think it was on Ebay many months ago. It looked like something designed for rivers, maybe not whitewater, per se, but designed to survive the inevitable collisions with submerged or protruding geology. I'd probably phone or email Feathercraft and find out what they've got to say about the boat. They should be able to fill you in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:13 pm 
Here's some info from a very old Feathercraft flyer, which gives some comparison to the KLight. I had been thinking the KLight replaced the ST in the Feathercraft line, but it's apparent from this flyer that they were both available concurrently. There's no year indicated on the flyer. Of course the weight and material spec's shown for the KLight don't reflect the current KLight.

Hope this helps you make a decision!

- John C in LondonOn

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:59 pm 
The "ST" or "short touring" is a pretty nifty boat. Discontinued in 1996. Longer, wider and heavier than a K-light, shorter, wider and heavier than a BigK. Same basic frame design as a K-2 but in a single person craft (you can download the assembly instructions from FC to get the idea). The wide nature and high rocker makes it a handful to track unless the rudder is used for "steering". Has the same basic profile as the early K1's and Klights thus waves wash over the bow as opposed to slapping against it as with the newer K-1. Width makes is super stable and a great boat to put inexperience or tenative paddlers in. Lack of hatches make it a pain to load, but no more so than a K-light. For those on the "healthier side" (I'm 6' , 220lbs), the boat offers a lot of comfort and an excellent platform for fishing or photography. Same hypalon hull and cordura deck as other early FC. I paid $900 for mine last year in essentially unused condition. If you decide to pass on the boat perhaps your friend could offer it for sale here. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:38 am 
Just to add to the previous post: If the lack of hatches is a problem, you can send the skin to Feathercraft in Vancouver, and they will sew in hatches for you. I am not too sure of the prices, but I had a front hatch added to my old-style K-Light for about $150 about 10 years ago...
Andrew Klinzmann

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 pm 
forum fanatic

FWIW..Feathercraft will only do that on older boats. I purchased a Wisper last year and (stupidly ) didn't order it with the small bow hatch. When I was in Vancouver this January I asked Feathercraft if they could add the hatch in now, and the answer was "NO". The skin won't fit into their sewing machine. I expect it's different for the old Feathercraft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:34 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

If you really want a hatch and Feathercraft can't do it, you could look on Tom Yost's website. I think he gives instructions for a do-it-yourself version with a drybag-type closure.