Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:40 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just perusing the Feathercraft site to discover a new foot pedal modification and change for the K-1 and available for the Kahuna.

Check out their site under 'Resources' and click onto 'Whats New'.

The old design has always bothered me, first on my Kahuna and now my K-1. This new set up looks promising and I have inquired about price.

I guess my only question is how it interferes with storage of camping equipment/air bags, etc.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:53 am 
Nice, I guess this only works if you have the rudder cables? A pity, because it would deal nicely with the "rotating pedal" problem.

I never liked the old sliding system because with my short legs the pedals ended up very near the near end of the rail, and were apt to come off the rail altogether if I wasn't careful. But I never used the rudder much anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:52 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Not sure yet, but it may work without the rudder. I just heard back from Rob at Feathercraft and he does not even have the price for it yet. He indicated most folks there were out for the Easter Holiday, so he'll send more info on Tuesday next.......nice long holiday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:53 pm 
kayakamper wrote:
I guess my only question is how it interferes with storage of camping equipment/air bags, etc.

The new pedals are high, so is the position of bungee cord. But I'm sure that with my amount of gear in expeditions it WILL interfere with loading/unloading in this compartment. Note that the photo shows Kahuna, and not K1.

In K1 this compartment is almost all taken by the pedal rails, and there is very little room for only one 20L drybag near the fore end of the rails. I'm carrying a 30L drybag with sleeping bag and clothes in this location in K1, because I have to (my large stern compartment is split in half by the sail mast), and I barely have enough length of rails to operate the pedals (because 30L drybag consumes few inches of the rail length). I am 5'7". People with longer legs will not have enough room even for 20L bag there, because this would reduce the rails usable length too much.

One thing is sure - it will be some pain to push the bags in and out through the pedals (including smaller 10-15 liter bags that are loaded through this large cockpit rib and are placed in the next bow compartment).

Quote:
I never liked the old sliding system because with my short legs the pedals ended up very near the near end of the rail, and were apt to come off the rail altogether if I wasn't careful.

Nohoval, you probably mean Kahuna. In K1 the rails extend all the way to the fore cockpit rib and can't fall off the end (which is very annoying when you assemble the boat and forget to put the pedals on the rail before extending the frame, and have to dissemble half-assembled boat in order to add the pedals). Btw, you can reverse the pedals, so that the knob will be fore of the foot platform - then the whole pedal will shift 2" deeper/farther from the aft end of the rail.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:53 pm 
Oh NO !!!! When I followed your directions to the Feathercraft site, I see that they no longer have teal as a colour choice ! Both my Big Kahuna and my K-Light are teal - I figured as long as I kept buying Teal Folders, and I never assembled more than one at a time, my wife would never notice ! So what am I to do now ?!?!? :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:19 pm 
VE3JC John wrote:
Both my Big Kahuna and my K-Light are teal - I figured as long as I kept buying Teal Folders, and I never assembled more than one at a time, my wife would never notice ! So what am I to do now ?!?!? :cry:

Order teal K1, Khatsalano and Klondike (with a solo skirt) ASAP - they still have some supply of teal material :-)... As long as you assemble one at a time, she won't notice. Weird that they can't get a teal dye for this laminate, though.

Back to the topic - when I wrote about 20L or 30L drybag fore of the rails in K1, I meant - placed crosswise and severely compressed, naturally. Sometimes one might have to deflate the sponsons for doing this, and then inflate them after shoving the bag in. I had to deflate them in Big Kahuna (for 30L bag), but normally didn't have to deflate K1. Contrary to the published specs, K1 does NOT have same beam and height with Kahuna. It is 1" wider and higher.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:00 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I too noticed the teal material being discontinued! My poor stained deck will always remain that way now ( not that I would pay to have it replaced ).

Alex, I noticed you now have a '08 K-1. Does this mean your foot pedals are the new design?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:05 am 
kayakamper wrote:
Alex, I noticed you now have a '08 K-1. Does this mean your foot pedals are the new design?

No, I don't see any difference from my 2003 Kahuna. May be only more rounded corners. But the spacing between the ribs of this compartment is different from Kahuna, of course. K1 has more ribs per one foot of length, spacings are shorter, and as a result, the rail takes almost entire length of this compartment in K1, leaving me no room for a big drybag (which is bad, as I don't have any other room for it), and making pedals installation impossible after the frame has been expanded, - which is annoying when you forget about it :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:51 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I know what you mean about the forgotten step on the K-1. I have done that twice now :oops:

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 am 
Quote:
Quote:
I never liked the old sliding system because with my short legs the pedals ended up very near the near end of the rail, and were apt to come off the rail altogether if I wasn't careful.
Nohoval, you probably mean Kahuna. In K1 the rails extend all the way to the fore cockpit rib and can't fall off the end (which is very annoying when you assemble the boat and forget to put the pedals on the rail before extending the frame, and have to dissemble half-assembled boat in order to add the pedals). Btw, you can reverse the pedals, so that the knob will be fore of the foot platform - then the whole pedal will shift 2" deeper/farther from the aft end of the rail.
Yes, it's the Kahuna I was referring to. I did the mod as suggested, but I have very short legs (or so it seems) and the problem is still there. As I say, no biggy, I never use the rudder so I never looked for a complete solution.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just heard from Theresa at Feathercraft and the foot brace kit is $75. U.S. plus shipping. I am not completely sold on the idea of it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm 
I just purchased one today for a K1. I will give it a try on my K1 first before getting one for the Kahuna. They charged me $75 US. Apparently they are two different item numbers for the K1 and Kahuna.

The folks at Feathercraft seem pretty excited about it. It seems to solve the rotating pedal problem and they said it is much more comfortable. They must be convinved because it is now standard on their flagship K1 model.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:53 pm 
mrm3759 wrote:
I will give it a try on my K1 first before getting one for the Kahuna. They charged me $75 US. Apparently they are two different item numbers for the K1 and Kahuna.

The folks at Feathercraft seem pretty excited about it.

Daypaddlers without much gear will certainly appreciate this mod.
It's always been a nuisance loading big drybag into the large bow compartment of Kahuna (between the end of the rails and rib #1). Pedals fall of the fore end of the rail when I pull the bag out, and get in the way when I shove the bag in. (They get in the way in K1 too, but don't fall off, for obvious reason). Now with this FC mod they add a bigger set of pedals and few other parts in the same area...

And it's been same annoyance with loading through the rib on Longhaul MK1, due to its cumbersome pedal post right in front of the cockpit rib.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yeah, I am really on the fence about it for the reasons you mention Alex, but would like a different 'feel' down there.

mrm3759....I would be interested in your reaction to it once you have it installed.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:11 am 
I've finally realized why I disliked this mod before even trying it. It's the pivoting tube. Like I mentioned, I carry 30L bag at the end of pedal rails (it is 40L, filled approximately to 30L). It slides in lengthwise, and then I turn it crosswise. An even when it goes lengthwise, it's catching my existing small K1 pedals sometimes. Ok, may be new pedals could be moved out of the way somehow (see below). But the problem is that with this new mod, the height of cargo hold becomes semi-permanently 1-1.5" lower at the point where this new pivot tube is - and even without this tube there is not too much height for loading wide items. Also, this tube acts as a doorstep for loaded items, no matter how small item - you can't reach the rib #2, and shove tent or something else along the keelsen, and pivot tube gets in the way.

May be more clearance in both W and H can be gained by disconnecting the cables or bungee (or both) during the loading, I don't know. Unlike in Longhaul and Klepper, lowering pedals down forward (after disconnecting the cables alone) won't help much, because bungee cord then falls down, and the bag goes above it, while it should go under the bungee. Probably, both bungee and cables will have to be disconnected for this purpose (and then re-connected again), and I don't know how easy FC has made those clips etc - can't see much on the photo, but this wold increase loading/unloading time. With my loading in multiday trips taking 30-40 minutes (loading alone, not including breakfast, filling the bags with gear, or bringing the bags and boat to water), adding more obstacles doesn't appeal to me.