Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:54 am 
Hi All, finally gooten my dream, a red big kahuna. WHEN looking it over i noticed a white piece of hard plastic behind the rear part of the seat, within the black fabrik. Now this keeps ther back seat straight but sits hard against the cockpit coaming as well, semmingly rubbing against it. canot be good for skin around cockpit coaming i think. What is the back of the seat filled with originally? thanks for all info, Hans.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:28 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Hans,

I know when I had my Kahuna ( 2003 ) there was some reinforcement on the coaming where the seat would press against the fabric. It is similar on my K-1. I have never had a wear problem there. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you do, I would contact Feathercraft about your concerns
Info@feathercraft.com

Cheers,
Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:22 pm 
It is not pressed against the coaming - it only rests on it lightly, and it's more foam edges that are touching the coaming than white plastic insert. Mostly this insert rests on the rib. No abrasion on the coaming in 6 years.

I rounded the perimeter of the insert with a file and sandpaper - originally it was sharp where narrow side meets either surface at 90 degree angle. I did this more for protection of the seat fabric envelope than for protection of the coaming. Also, I added one layer of the foam into the backrest under the original foam (10mm blue foam from the sleeping pad), and sand-papered it to make a wide groove along the spine - originally it was flat as a table. So now all this foam meets the coaming before the plastic insert.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:24 pm 
thanks guys,most helpfull. indeed the backpiece should have a less than 90 dregree edge to line it up better with the angle of the coaming, i'll do that. sorry for all the typos in the previous post, im working from a netbook....very small keys for such big fingerz....