Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:23 pm 
Hey, was going to take a trip to Kaui soon, and really want to take my big kahuna. looking at the charges airlines have for extra luggage, has anyone tried fedexing the whole feathercraft bag fully packed to the hotel you're staying at....Was wondering if anyone had tried this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:45 am 
Different airlines have different charges. There are separate charges for extra bags and overweight bags. It's still free one bag @50 lbs + one 40 lbs carryon bag + one 5-7 lbs "personal item" on most domestic flights, and then from $25 to $100 per each overweight bag (i.e. the one that weighs from 50 to 100 lbs) and from $25 to $100 per each extra checked-in bag (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc bag) each way. But then, Fedex is also "each way". Compare the costs and decide. Sounds like you won't be doing multiday trips, so you won't need a lot of gear.

In my 3-weeks wilderness trip to Baja with K1 (10 lbs heavier than Kahuna), 40 lbs of sails and all the food - I only paid $75 total for return trip in extra luggage charges. Though, they had a mercy on me, it should've been $100 total. Flights from Canada to Baja Mexico by Alaska Air don't have generous luggage allowances of international flights and are treated just slightly better than purely domestic US or Canadian flight (I would've paid $30 more total if it were a domestic flight). But, If I didn't have 2 sail rigs and 22 days worth of food, I wouldn't have probably paid any surcharges.

Damage-wise, I don't see any difference except that Fedex will ship it by a separate plane.