Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:26 pm 
Hello,

I am looking for a nice 2 person folding kayak and have my eyes on a couple local possibilities. The greenland 2 seems like a great choice for me but I would rather have one that can keep up with hard shells and I have read the G2 is a bit on the slow side. How does the speed of K2 compare in your opinions?

I have found a couple k2's local but the ad specified that they are approx 12 years old and have never been collapsed?? I just wanted to make sure that a 12 year old version of the K2 didn't have anything terribly wrong with it. What could I expect for issues with these (they look great!)? Also the ad specified they have not been collapsed in a very long time. Is that going to be an issue?

One last question on fit, I am a large guy and the opening of these look pretty tight, do you think it would be an issue? I am 6' and weigh about 270.

Thanks for any advice on this, I have enjoyed reading this forum and learning so much!

-Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:38 pm 
Never collapsed in 12 years? That could well be an issue. At this stage it may not be possible to collapse them. When aluminium oxidises it creates a ceramic (I'm told), and it can seize solid. If being able to fold them up is important to you, then I would first establish if that is going to be possible. Complete seize-up is much more likely if they've been used in salt water.

At the very least, I would say that collapsing them will require a lot of elbow grease. Feathercraft recommend disassembly and lubrication every few months. 12 years - wow - you'll have your work cut out. But maybe you'll be lucky.

There's nothing wrong with a 12-year old K2. They've changed the design a little I think, but it was a great boat to begin with. At 12 years old it will I think have a Cordura rather than the newer (any drier) SealSkin deck. But those decks have stood the test of time very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm 
Thanks for the response! Yeah I am a little worried about the dissambly myself especially since I have never dissembled one before. I think If I am able to get one fold started I would be able to do the whole boat. Any suggestions on what I could try to fold first just to see if it would be possible? I am planning on checking them out in person but I would like to know what to look for. I have been watching youtube vids on assembly but its hard to see what they grab first when disassembling.

Does anyone care to comment on how these boats compare to the greenland 2 by folbot? I know they are quite a bit more expensive and you get what you pay for but what are the real differences? How does the speed compair as that is the only thing I don't like about the G2.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:02 pm 
Unfortunately it isn't just a question of getting "one fold started". The aluminium tubes slide together. Seizure can occur at any of the joints. The most likely to cause problems are the centre extension bars - these are the ones you see when you look into the cockpit. There are five of them, and they are the most likely to seize because they have the longest sections of aluminium-sliding-over aluminium. These are also the first you need to tackle when disassembling, so you'll know straight away if you have problems. Of the extension bars, the most likely one to cause problems would be the keel one - the one in the centre of the bottom of the boat, because it gets most exposure to water.

Bear in mind that any frame parts that are seized can still be replaced (although it might be necessary to cut them out first with a hack-saw - I've done it unfortunately). But if you need to go down that road you would need to know in advance exactly what needs replacing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:01 pm 
From personal experience I can tell you that you'll certainly have to replace parts if you try folding the feathercraft - especially after such a long time left uncollapsed. I had left my K1 for one season and had a really tough time. Eventually I had to go the hacksaw route.
As for the Grennland 2's - they're not as fast as the K2, but they do have some advantages. If you're a bigger guy, the open cockpit will allow you to fit more comfortably than the K2. The service from Folbot is exceptional and the cost of a new Greenland is relatively inexpensive. Either way, happy paddling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:16 pm 
Thanks again for all the advice. I think I will go with the greenland 2 after more and more reading. I don't think I want my first experience with a folding kayak to be one that has been seized for 12 years!! :lol: If anyone else is interested in these boats here is the link for them in Vancouver, BC. By fare the cheapest I have ever seen the k2's.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/boa/1221105674.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:23 pm 
Pre-2000 K2 has an older version of skin. Folbot is still making their boats with this type of skin, though. The difference is that post-1999 Feathercraft skin has welded seams VS sewn seams in the pre-2000 skin.

The problem with a 12-years old pre-2000 skin of K2 can be (very likely) leaking seams, shrinkage of the deck that makes assembling difficult, and damage of the deck due to mildew, UV exposure and hot/cold temperature cycles. Any synthetic deck is a laminate - fabric with a polymer coating, and this coating can degrade with time and/or start peeling off. Post-1999 FC decks are better quality laminates than pre-2000 FC decks (and possibly, slightly better than current Folbot decks) and hopefully will have a longer lifespan.

In G2 deck quality is less important, as it has "less" of a deck (and it is a "wet" boat anyway, compared to FC).

Can't comment on differences between K2 and G2 - but this is not only about the boats. It is also about the paddler's preferences. If your trips will be mostly local weekend trips around Indian Arm, Stavs Reservoir, Gulf Islands, Sunshine Coast etc, then I wold say - go for a G2. You will not enjoy assembling K2 on Saturday morning and dissembling it next day in the afternoon. For flying - K2 will be better (lighter and more compact), but with 2 people you have a double free luggage allowance, so this isn't terribly important.