Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:56 am 
after months of planning, thinking, testpaddling, saving funds, finnaly the latest addition to my little fleet of folding kayaks made by Feathercraft has arrived!

the genius in its bag.

first assembly

on the water!

was not happy with the original seat, Lyle Hancock from http://www.foldingkayak.com/
recommended and traded a Kathsalano seat in, it fits perfect and is low enough for the rolling rib.
i also changed the new pedal system for the old one, i am much happier with what i have on my K1 and Kahuna.

bought all my Feathercraft from Lyle, i can highly recommend his services for everyone who wants to buy a folder made in Canada!

servus from the Danube

Willi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Nice pics, lovely boat, spectacular paddling territory.

Enjoy!

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:26 pm 
Thanks Mary, your photos inspired me to go for a Wisper
cheers
Willi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:50 am 
Willi, congrats of your new Feathercraft!

It looks like Wisper flotilla is growing rapidly. Here is Kathy's sister Sandy with her brand new, beautifully blue wisper on her maiden voyage to Coons Beach on Portland. Mine is still K-1, but you never know what will happen by next spring.

Even those two eagles admire her new craft:

Now, may I suggest a small Feathercraft flotilla for next spring? Perhaps one week in Broken Group, Barkley Sound around late May/early June? I'm sure that after one year of absence you are anxious to get back to the west coast swing, isn't it so?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:00 am 
maryinoxford wrote:
Nice pics, lovely boat, spectacular paddling territory.

+1 Looks awsome! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 pm 
forum fanatic

gregn wrote:
Now, may I suggest a small Feathercraft flotilla for next spring? Perhaps one week in Broken Group, Barkley Sound around late May/early June? I'm sure that after one year of absence you are anxious to get back to the west coast swing, isn't it so?

I'm in! Set it up...

Congrats on the new boat. It looks awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:56 pm 
KayD..., Willi is the guy with organizational skills. He also knows west coast of Canada better than most of us.

But back to his silver bullet - Wisper XP that is. I'm sure that he's anxious to try it in more challenging conditions than on those alpine lakes of Salzburg country. What would be better fot that than Broken Group?!

This is him in K-1, a few years back on the west coast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:11 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

KayDubbya wrote:
gregn wrote:

I'm in! Set it up...

Congrats on the new boat. It looks awesome!

If I am around this Spring, I may come up. Things are a bit unsettled regarding my residence these days.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:34 am 
Enjoy your new Wisper - without starting a flame/troll war, I think it is Feathercraft's best all round kayak. I've often considered selling my Khatsalano for an Wisper XP.

One suggestion though: you may want to blur out the address and telephone number in the first image. That is enough personal information for someone to commit anything as simple harassment to full-on identity theft.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:21 pm 
faltbootemeister

Quote:

That could be a really cool trip. My only experience of the Broken Group is from the Frances Barkley's deck sailing between Ucluelet to Port Alberni. The best times to paddle the Broken Group is late spring and early fall. Summers tend to be rather crowded.
Hopefully, by that time I will again be a proud Feathercraft owner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:08 am 
Alrighty...I'm in. :) The more time I spend in my Wisper XP, the more comfortable I am getting with this beauty. Absolutely no regrets getting this kayak.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:54 pm 
Boats look absolutely beautiful (typical Feathercraft) ! By the way, what exactly is the difference between the Whisper and the Whisper XP ? And how does this boat compare to a K1 ? (I am going to upgrade to a newer K1, but the Whisper XP looks pretty similar...)
Andrew Klinzmann

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:38 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

aklinz wrote:
By the way, what exactly is the difference between the Whisper and the Whisper XP ?

What Feathercraft say:
Quote:
the stern has been modified in order to accept a rudder, and the pivot foot braces are standard
the deck reinforcement strip has been added
both a small bow hatch, and a large stern hatch are standard

Also, the standard Wisper has 4 cross ribs and the XP has 6. This probably makes the XP stiffer. (I have the standard Wisper, which does have a fair amount of flex.)

FC advertise the XP as weighing 18 kg. My standard Wisper, with the lightweight skin, is 15 kg.

K1 is a bigger, heavier kayak and can carry a lot more weight. If you're planning a long self-supported trip, it would probably do better. To use a Wisper for an expedition, you'd have to select your kit very carefully for weight and volume.

My Wisper is everything I want in a kayak. Other people will have different needs. I won't say there's such a thing as a "best" kayak, but in a contest for the most beautiful, I think the Wisper would beat even the Khats.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:47 pm 
forum fanatic

maryinoxford wrote:
My Wisper is everything I want in a kayak. Other people will have different needs. I won't say there's such a thing as a "best" kayak, but in a contest for the most beautiful, I think the Wisper would beat even the Khats.

Mary

No doubt about that. Every time I paddle someone comments on what a great looking boat it is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 pm 
thank you very much for your comments and pics posted!

dont worry about the adress on the box, it was used for shipping only and the kayak is already 5000 kilometers away from that place.
:wink:

more wisper pics:

was using my new northwater 4play paddle float for the first time:

art on the beach

servus

willi