Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A better seat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:13 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

One of the few things about my Kurrent that I've found troublesome has been the seat. While the inflatable lumbar support works very well, I've not been comfortable for any length of time with the inflatable seat pad. It doesn't seem to matter how I inflate the thing, after about thirty minutes my left leg becomes numb and I need to find a place to land where I can try to get things put right. Yesterday, I deflated the seat entirely and placed a Sealline Discovery kayak seat pad that I've used in various hard shells on the seat. The improvement was immediate; I paddled for two hours without numbness or other discomfort. The Sealline pad is self inflating like the Thermarest sleeping pads and I added just a bit more air for extra firmness. For anyone having similar problems, the Sealine Discovery or a less expensive Thermarest-type pad might help.

Post subject: Re: A better seat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:30 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I've used a Thermarest knockoff (EMS brand) in my skin on frame in the same way. I've also found that half a 1/2" Ensolite backpacking sleeping pad (half a closed cell yoga mat works too) tucked into the cockpit makes a comfortable seat. I usually fold about a third of it under from the front to elevate my thighs just a little. Short lengths of closed cell foam are useful for a lot of things -- a small piece can be folded in half and tucked behind your lower back to cushion the backband or change your position on longer trips. I often tuck one under my legs for more cushioning from the frame parts. Handy to have to sit on for lunch stops ashore or for kneeling to get stuff out of the hatches. I started carrying these foam pieces decades ago when I did a lot of backpacking, Even used one to cushion a rigged splint when the group I was with helped evacuate a hiker who had broken his leg

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Post subject: Re: A better seat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:02 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Having tried thermarest style inflatable seat pads, the Ensolite style closed cell foam pads (the soft ones) and the more expensive polyurethane closed cell mats, I far prefer the last of these 3 types, as recommended by Brian Schultz of Cape Falcon kayaks. With the inflatable ones I felt disconnected from the hull and had more difficulty keeping my balance in rough seas. I found that the Ensolite style soft foam pads deformed permanently after a while, losing their ability to cushion you effectively, as Brian had told me they would!

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island