Aironaut redux

Moderators: mje, krudave

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Aironaut redux

Post by Jake »

Dan, on the Feathercraft blog, has announced a new hull fabric that FC will soon be using. He describes it as stronger and more abrasion resistant as well as being 15% lighter than the material they're presently using. I asked if this new material might be used in the fabrication of a new version of the Aironaut and it now seems possible that the Aironaut could be back in production late this year if all goes well with this new fabric. A 15% weight reduction would likely mean a 17 pound Aironaut. Nice! :)

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Aironaut redux

Post by DLee »

That's great news.... although I hadn't known the Aironaut was out of production. When did that happen?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

I believe it was in early January that news of Feathercraft down sizing their fleet came out. This, coupled with the bad news regarding Folbot and the demise of some companies that sold folding kayaks, stirred up some depressing feelings in the folding kayak community. Jake and I were very interested in the Aironaut and may have purchased one in the near future if not for Feathercraft's decision to stop production. But Jake is still fighting the good fight and seems to have found a ray of hope. After reading the blog, Feathercraft is clearly excited about this new hull material and this could mean good news in many ways to future customers.

paraglia
faltbootemeister

Post by paraglia »

When I was at the FC factory a few weeks ago, they mentioned the Aironaut would be back in production this fall. I'm not sure if it will also be made with the new material. It might be worth the wait.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FoldingKayaksCanada/

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

I look forward to seeing the Aironaut back in production. As sweet-paddling a boat as my little Kurrent is, I will likely trade it up for a performance inflatable weighing a scant 19 pounds that will go from bag to water in less than 10 minutes.

Return to “Feathercrafts”