Carrying a K1 (assembled) on vehicle top

Moderators: mje, krudave

lleblanc
recent arrival

Carrying a K1 (assembled) on vehicle top

Post by lleblanc »

Hi,

I have a VW Eurovan with roof bars 8' (2,44m) apart. Can I safely transport an assembled K1 at highway speeds on them?

Regards,

--
Luc Le Blanc

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Re: Carrying a K1 (assembled) on vehicle top

Post by Jeremiah »

Hi,

I would think most people might say you have the perfect vehicle for safe transportation, a long roof line with the bars spread a good distance apart. I believe that would give you about a 4 foot overhang on either end. If you search further into the forum you'll see a lot of good advice about not having too much overhang on the ends as the flex of a folding kayak would make it vulnerable to severe damage.

I knew someone with a Feathercrat Khatsalano who attached an aluminum ladder to his cross bars and then the kayak to the ladder. Zero flex. Again, with your long roofline you should have a good foundation to meet your needs.

kayakspearo
forum fanatic

Post by kayakspearo »

Salut Luc. :wink:
We have a K2 and we have done it many times on a small rental car. Not a problem.
Leave the sponsons deflated.
Last edited by kayakspearo on Sat May 11, 2019 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feathercraft Java and K2
Homemade sectional hardshell
Homemade inflatable surfski
Rigid surfski (Epic V10sport)

kayakspearo
forum fanatic

Post by kayakspearo »

Another one in Norway. Previous was in Hawaii.
Feathercraft Java and K2
Homemade sectional hardshell
Homemade inflatable surfski
Rigid surfski (Epic V10sport)

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

Well, there's always an exception. The K2 has a very sturdy frame that uses square tubing and beefed up keel and gunwale sections. Still, there are many folders that I would hesitate to transport in the manner that you carry your K2 (a Folbot Cooper for example).

Thanks for the photos! A beautiful kayak that begs for adventures in exotic places.

Return to “Feathercrafts”