Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm 
recent arrival

hi folks my uncle willed me his feathercraft khatsalano but in the backpack was a 4 and a 4s crossrib online they say the "S" is fuller but the rib looks smaller so don't understand why its smaller. the ebay listing that came with it says its an "S" from 1996. I had a heck of a time taking the frame out...after hour an hour had to ask my neighbor to hold the end while I pulled. only assembled it to putting in the extensions and called it quits when I saw 3 crossribs instead of 2 left. any tricks in getting the skin out, centered or any tips in general would help as well as info on the 4th rib..I saw the assembly video....now I know why he assembled it on a table but not practical when going to a lake or beach ....certainly harder when on the ground.. I'm assuming the 4s is for the S model? I tried loading pic but its too big so need to figure out how to make it smaller..thx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:10 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

sromes1 wrote:
hi folks my uncle willed me his feathercraft khatsalano but in the backpack was a 4 and a 4s crossrib online they say the "S" is fuller but the rib looks smaller so don't understand why its smaller. the ebay listing that came with it says its an "S" from 1996. I had a heck of a time taking the frame out...after hour an hour had to ask my neighbor to hold the end while I pulled. only assembled it to putting in the extensions and called it quits when I saw 3 crossribs instead of 2 left. any tricks in getting the skin out, centered or any tips in general would help as well as info on the 4th rib..I saw the assembly video....now I know why he assembled it on a table but not practical when going to a lake or beach ....certainly harder when on the ground.. I'm assuming the 4s is for the S model? I tried loading pic but its too big so need to figure out how to make it smaller..thx

4S is a shorter rib to allow for easier rolling. You can use either 4 or 4S. Try soaking the skin before assembly.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 pm 
recent arrival

thanks chuck. another ? while assembling it I bent the black taped extension lever tip...using one hand and not alot of force...I'm 70. So now it won't fit in the crossrib straight...was thinking of bending it back but worried about weakening it....has that ever happened to you? I'll try the water thing...anytime I get knew hiking shoes I soak them and wear them until dry to get a good fit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Bending a bent aluminium tube back straight once when we can add; it’s just one stressed reversal after all.

By the way a useful tip for getting the frame out of the skin is to grab the nose or stern and shake it vigourously

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416 & Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:54 pm 
recent arrival

thx for the info
siravingmon